The selected directory contains no sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The selected directory contains no sites

I am trying to connect a new 'User' pc to the existing Business Plus pc and I get the message "The selected directory contains no sites."

Using <Browse> in several different ways (My Network Places, Entire Network & drill down, Map the drive), I cannot get it to connect, even though I can see all the Sites listed in the folder.

Any ideas please?

Paul
    Paul
    Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Stupid answer, but you do have a licence for the new PC.
    Chris Ashdown

Comment

Chris, I see you as a compatriot & was hoping that you would respond! I get the impression that there are not very many of us multi-users.

I have three licences - one Business Plus and two user/client. In (struggling) to get going with V9, I have BP9 installed on the same pc as we have been running V7 (content) on - V7 is running on a two pc basis, one for Content upload and one for Orders download. So I'll call the first one 'C' and the other one 'O', for 'O'rders.

The two V9 User licences are used on (i) my (P)artner's laptop building the new site & (ii) the (A)ccounts department's pc - for occasional use in spare moments - that's me.

We are getting closer to bringing V9 online, so I want to put the second user (A) onto the order processing desk (O). (A) is shutdown. I have downloaded V9.0.5 from Actinic and installed it to (O). Entered the Licence Key. <Browsed> to the network folder.

No joy.

PS this is after weeks of perseverance, slow progress, many .dmp files and a chat with CB himself.
      Paul
      Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Comment

Hi There

With V9 it automatically moved the site folder to a shared drive on C:/ installation rather than the V7 version which saved it under Actinic in Program Files

Are you sure you are not trying to log the clients onto the V7 sites instead of the V7 site folder
        Chris Ashdown

Comment

No, Chris.

We have been using Business Plus with two users (i.e., three licences) for a few weeks, so we know where the folder is on the network.

I am simply trying to 'move' one of these licences to a different machine.

But I am told 'the selected directory contains no sites' when it clearly does and I can see the individual site folders over the network. Why does it tell me 'no sites' when they are there, and other machines access them with no problem?

Paul
          Paul

Comment

Now I don't for one minute think that this is the final answer, but...

After three days of trying, shutting down six pc's , rebooting, re-installing, unplugging the router, pulling network plugs out of sockets, etc.: opened Actinic on one of the failing machines first thing this Monday morning (to show someone that it wasn't behaving) and "lo! and behold" - it connected!
            Paul

Comment

Is that all

Well done,

How do you manage six computers with three licences, must be a headach logging on and off.
              Chris Ashdown

Comment

Originally posted by chris ashdown View Post
                How do you manage six computers with three licences
                It is not unlike having Content Upload and Orders Download on two separate pc's in the standalone version - we have two databases.

One group does not access the other group.
                _________
                Paul
                Paul

Comment

It's worth discussing with Actinic support if you haven't already. Getting Business Plus with multiple users going is a bit of a black art. I won't profess to know it at all well but I know that depending on how it's set up, you can have problems, but they can be relatively easily overcome.

Your description sounds like you may be dependent on IP addresses. If they are dynamically allocated on your network, the order in which you booted the machines might determine whether the network worked or not. So it may not work next time and hence my advice.

There are hundreds of Business Plus users out there, so you are very far from alone. I visited one a few months back, and they had never had their second license working. I got support to call them, and it was all solved in less than ten minutes. Something to do with a firewall, I believe.

Chris

Comment

Thanks for your comments CB and of course you are aware that we spoke a few weeks back.

We changed 'IP Addresses' to use 'Computer Names' some weeks ago - so I don't think it was that.

Still battling on - the next worry on the horizon is how it will perform when we're actually processing orders!

________
                    Paul
                    Paul

Comment

I'm sure someone told me you shouldn't use the computer names. Instead you should fix the IP addresses ... but I'm not sure.

Chris

Comment

I think that it may have been this thread (Post #2) that was in my mind.

But with hindsight, since then we have uninstalled and re-installed soooo many times..... that bit has probably been overwritten anyway!

So, maybe you are correct. I also see in that thread that Chris Ashdown says to always boot the MAIN (server) first, then the others.

BTW, that thread probably needs moving into this new Multi-User Forum?
                        ______
                        Paul
                        Paul

Comment

Thanks, have moved the thread.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by pfb5 View Post
                            I also see in that thread that Chris Ashdown says to always boot the MAIN (server) first, then the others.

_____
                            Paul
                            Thats just because the sync is controlled by the main actinic site, if not started first then the other computers start their own version and it asks everyone to change to that sync

We have been meaning to put the database onto the local server rather than just leave it on the main computer but just never got around to it (still to scared to do many changes to Actinic whilst it's working if you know what i mean)
                            Chris Ashdown

Comment

Yes I knew what that thread was about, and what you were getting at. Similarly, I think CB is referring to the order in which randon dynamic IP addresses are allocated by the network as each computer boots?
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X