quick multi user question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quick multi user question

Hi all, not used actinic for three or four years, but i work in web promotion now. A client has approached me and asked for onsite seo work to be done. They are using the latest actinic and this will involve a lot of template work and some product and category updates.

In the past actinic was a nightmare when it came to templates and site refreshes, so i'm wondering if it's improved. But the main question is can two users in different locations (none will have access to their others local files) easily administer the template and product files, and if so without danger of the site breaking, being overwritten badly, one person overwriting the other etc or other problems?

Thanks

Nothing will have changed from what you know really, although services like gotomypc have sprung up, so that's your best course of action i suspect.

Comment

loggin in with any remote software to the other machine is out of the question, theyll be using it for everyday work and i dont think they'll appreciate me taking it over.

So, no actual multi user feature exists in the current actinic? Any additional user has to be on the same local machine or network?

Comment

Only snapshots or remote login for design changes.

Comment

If it's design related changes then you are limited to what's been mentioned, however if it's descriptive text changes to product descriptions and fragments then you should be able to make the changes to an exported catalog and then re-import it as an update.

Comment

it'll include a lot of template stucture and changes as well as products.. so will have to be remote login then by the sound of it.

How easy is it to break actinic nowadays? Last time i used it (around v7), i was constantly in fear of anoything other than basic product updates killing the site, backups not working properly, version conflicts etc etc whenever working with templates. Is it still as bad? c'mon.. be honest

Comment

The old v7 templates no longer exist externally. They are now layouts stored in the database. If you have Actinic installed on your PC (at the same version) with a base snapshot of the target site then you can create a design only snapshot to update the site that will just need importing into the running site.

You will need to forget almost everything you did with v7, v9 is a whole new animal when it comes to managing the design.

Comment

Working...
              X