Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its me not you!

Moan, moan, moan!

Actinic v9 multi user is so slow, crashes and is generally difficult to work with.

Having had fantastic levels of support fronm Actinic I am now of the opinion that our computers are as much if not wholly to blame and intend replacing both the ones we use for Actinic before installing v10.

May I have suggestions as to which specification computers I should be looking to purchase and what operating system to aim for.

I know as much about computers as I need to know, so any help gratefully received.

Regards, Robert
    Robert Johnston
    www.gentlemans-shop.com

Hi Robert,
    I've recently upgraded so hope I can help. I don't use multiuser but have several sites, and order processing, switching between them and printing was very slow. Like you I got fed up and decided a new computer was central to a solution.
    I went for the fastest processor and largest memory I could afford, as it seems to me that these factors are most important for smooth running.

The new system runs Windows 7 64 bit with a Core i7 processor and 8gb RAM. I understand that you need a 64 bit processor to take advantage of more than 4gb RAM and I wanted that extra memory. I bought from a company called Mesh, who I've dealt with before, and I've always had good service although I've seen complaints online about them. I guess you take your chance with any supplier. This new computer has radically changed Actinic and everything is pretty much instantaneous which is great.

With multiuser I would also be checking the network speed through the cables and switches in case they're causing problems too.

I'm not an expert, however, so take more advice before committing- I'm sure someone far more experienced will be along soon!

I hope you resolve your computer woes soon!
    Best wishes,
    Ben
    Ben
    http://www.fairygoodies.co.uk

Comment

I'd echo what Ben said.

The core i7 processors are great for what you want to do and Windows 7 is much better at allocating tasks to the different cores in the processor.

Memory is relatively cheap so 8GB RAM and 64 bit windows is also a good idea.

If I remember correctly, the i750 processor offers good performance for the price.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
      X