Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multi User SSL (Secure Socket Layer) - advice please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi User SSL (Secure Socket Layer) - advice please?

I have a Dedicated Server package with 1and1 (apparently this means 'managed' - I do not have root access) which enables me to create my own folders and launch new sites & urls - potentially hundreds of domains & thousands of email addresses. This seemed an ideal match with Business Plus (multi-site) and the domain names I have in stock for the future.

The package comes with one free SSL Certificate.

My initial purpose for purchasing Business Plus was the multi user aspect as we got busier, so I've used that, and having got to grips with it (?) I am now looking at the multi-SITE capability - Chris Ashdown can you help me here?

Adding a further domain requires another SSL Certificate. (i) how do I do that (ii) 1and1 tell me that I can only have one SSL per package - other sites will have to be on their own hosting.

This rather defeats the idea of having Dedicated Server space, does it not?

Am I supposed to have separate hosting for each domain, in order to get SSL? I purchased an additional SSL Certificate, but I cannot see how to install it - so got a refund.

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Your SSL requirement is the issue, these are used few and far between. Finding a multisite user with SSL on each domain is a long shot I'd say. General setup seems to be PSP or two and job done. I can't understand their SSL restriction though, like you say defeats the object if you need to buy a dedicated server per site.

Comment

Maybe its a server load issue, I've seen many a dedicated server with own SSL seemingly chug along, certainly not at speed I'd hope for, maybe that points to shear processing required for the security aspect of it.

Comment

I cant say for sure as I am not familiar with the exact hosting package you have but I think its most likely an IP address space issue.

A dedicated SSL certificate requires a unique IP address, so if you want 10 SSL certificates for 10 domains you need 10 IP addresses.

Of course you can happily run as many domains as you like on a single shared IP address without SSL.

How many unique IP addresses do you have with your hosting package? By way of comparison our standard Platinum package offers up to 4 IP addresses and SSL certificates.
        Steve Wardell
        Operations Director

Comment

Thanks issued, I'll look into that.
          Paul
          Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Comment

My question is why do you need SSL now, you should not be taking card details via the site but taking them off site by using a PSP like sagepay or actinic payments
            Chris Ashdown

Comment

Originally posted by chris ashdown View Post
              My question is why do you need SSL now, you should not be taking card details via the site but taking them off site by using a PSP like sagepay or actinic payments
              Whilst this is a valid question, there are many situations where SSL is required.

1 to secure customer login/password
              2 in the event that a shop is taking cc via ssl and then feeding into a payment system with their own pci.

Comment

Is not no 2 against the new rules
                Chris Ashdown

Comment

Chris,

I already have SSL for my main site, it is used, as Jo says, for Customer Login (trade accounts access discounted pricing). I have Actinic Payments and do not take cards directly.

Besides the original purpose of having additional Users to process orders, I also have the facility to run additional sites, and I have upgraded to V10.02 licences.

Put all this together and I can launch a new site where, using V10, I can offer Google Checkout - but this needs SSL.

1and1 say I can't have more than one SSL Cert. on my Dedicated Managed Server package - they say I need separate hosting. I was hoping that you might know an answer - are all your sites on one server (and it sounds like you don't use SSL) or hosted separately?

So to sum up I have
                  1. the ability for several staff to run my Site1 (User logon)
                  1. the ability to have additional Sites (Licence New Site)
                  1. all hosting all in one place, easily accessible (1and1 DC Package)

but I can't have SSL on more than one site. This seems to rather defeat the object of having a server package.

_________
                  Paul
                  Paul
                  Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Comment

Can you use shared SSL on the 1and1 DS package?

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook View Post
                      Whilst this is a valid question, there are many situations where SSL is required.

1 to secure customer login/password
                      2 in the event that a shop is taking cc via ssl and then feeding into a payment system with their own pci.
                      I'm sorry Paul, I don't have an answer for you, but I just wanted to explore 1 a bit further, as we are launching a new site with customer login. Is SSL a technical requirement in this instance or just perceived customer feel good factor. If the latter I would question its benefit. After five years we have just removed SSL from our checkout and have had the best weekend's business for months, so it doesn't seem to be putting anyone off........

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Duncan - yes, but only once. Looking to the future there is another site in the pipeline as well.

Mark - I really don't know, I could take it off and see what happens.

Originally posted by swardell View Post
                        By way of comparison our standard Platinum package offers up to 4 IP addresses and SSL certificates.
                        Blimey, have you seen the PRICE?

It will be easier (and cheaper) to have lots of separate hosting - so maybe I should give up.

_______
                        Paul
                        Paul

Comment

Hi

We run five sites from our dedicated server with UKFast, but have never bothered with SSL, We do mention that when they go to the payment page they will be transfered and will then find the padlock

Nobody has ever mentioned lack of ssl so guess most don't care
                          Chris Ashdown

Comment

1 The restriction of 1 IP/SSL on your dedicated server is a limitation imposed by 1&1. We also provide dedicated servers with as many IPs as you ask for, thus you could have 20 sites/20IP/SSL on one server.

2 SSL for customer accts - I dont think its a technical requirement, I mentioned it as I would expect any login feature to be SSL enabled

3 It is possible to use SSL to encrypt CC detail - if you have pci compliance at a different level to the level4 self cert (its an option that the majority of small ecommerce sites do not take as it is costly both in time and money)

Comment

Thank you Jo, I know what you are saying and do not doubt that your dedicated and knowledgeable service is excellent.

However, for small websites with little traffic, lesser hosting accounts (and several of them) are going to be more cost-effective in the short to medium term.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Rainbow Florist Supplies
                              flower-stands.co.uk
                              silkfloralshop.co.uk

New Forest, Southampton, UK and Playa La Arena, Puerto Santiago, Isla Canarias. (Peckham branch opening shortly)
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X