Multi-user reviews?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi-user reviews?

Can anyone with experience of Business Plus and multi-user, give me a kind of short review? Me and the girl in our office are constantly fighting over the computer that runs the shop. I am responsible for the orders themselves, while she does the paperwork and general admin, so we're always waiting for one another to get out of the way. I was thinking of upgrading to Business plus but as it's rather expensive I wanted to know how well it works and whether it's worth the investment. I don't think we can carry on as we are.

I have searched, looking to get an idea of the experience others have had but I can't find a great deal. One person described it as 'wading through treacle' which puts me off somewhat.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Never heard it described as that before and dont understand the reasoning unless describing very high users like me with 7 users on a single site most of the time, but with maybe more normal 2-4 people it works really well

you get as many sites as you like

You can have multi-users on at the same time

Most of the time you can all work together but can be locked out say on a particular order if someone else is using it which stops two people editing at the same time a record so good safety there

with access database it gets slowed down with multi-users and is only suggested for a maximum of about 4-5 users, after that it slows down but is still userable

Unfortunatly actinic enterprise costs many thousands we were qoted between £6-8000, which seems a lot for just a faster system and seems to have the high price by using the MS SQL database rather than a non MS SQL database

Chris Ashdown

Comment

Thanks Chris. It will only be the two of us using it, perhaps three max. It's encouraging to hear that someone finds it works well. Still seems expensive though; I know Actinic are not totally averse to some mild haggling. Will they entertain me this time..

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmind View Post
        I have searched, looking to get an idea of the experience others have had but I can't find a great deal. One person described it as 'wading through treacle' which puts me off somewhat.
        You might be referring to the comment in post #6 of this thread which 3 1/2 years ago and I believe it has been improved since then, although am not a user of MU/Buisness Plus so cannot comment myself and haven't followed the multi user comments.

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=30161
        Darren Guppy
        Golf Tee Warehouse
        Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

Originally posted by Golf Tee Warehouse View Post
          so cannot comment myself and haven't followed the multi user comments.

Well, that's the thing: there aren't many comments. So then I'm thinking, perhaps it's not very popular.

Comment

Maybe ask Actinic for some references.

Comment

Could just be that theowners are bigger companies and dont visit the forum as much if at all, when you are small you have a bit of time to go on forums but as you get bigger time is possibly better spent on more management type operations

many of the regulars on here are designers who would have no use for business plus
              Chris Ashdown

Comment

Originally posted by chris ashdown View Post
                Could just be that theowners are bigger companies and dont visit the forum as much if at all, when you are small you have a bit of time to go on forums but as you get bigger time is possibly better spent on more management type operations

many of the regulars on here are designers who would have no use for business plus
                Valid points.

Yes, I'm sure it would be fine; was just looking for someone to say how much better it was since they employed it etc. Now, just whether to take the plunge..

I get very frustrated when I have to check on orders that must go out today, and someone is sitting there at the computer sorting invoices, but on the phone at the same time, so you can't even ask to butt in for a minute.

Comment

If you only use either your time or her time at 50% efficiency, then I imagine it's really a no brainer.

For telephone sales calls coming in you need to have control straight away otherwise so easy to piss off the customer, and as you grow you just need to pay for extra licence for each new employee

If you can afford it, go for it and make your life so much easier
                  Chris Ashdown

Comment

We also user MU in our office with 3 licences and 4 sites and works very well for us. V10 with the choice to select a site on start up has made a difference for us and when your taking telephone orders MU is vital IMO. It sounds like you won't be able to expand your business if you stay the way you are. Its not like the investment needs to be made every year.

The sync server was a bit clunky in v9 but not had issues in v10 and its quicker to swap sites etc.
                    Donna

Chief bunting supplier to Take That!

Comment

Thanks for your input. I am sold.

Had an Actinic guy phone up today - he's not willing to move on price. I'll have to tell him about the headache-inducing bug we've been putting up with for the last three years i.e. V8 crashes whenever you add an item to an existing order. Surely a goodwill gesture is due.

Comment

re: multi-user

Hi the reason we changed to Actinic was for the multi-user option, we have it networked over 3 machines and it is working really well. It isn't slow and we process a lot of orders each day. We have had it running for 4 weeks now and no problems so far with it. Lynsey www.petdispensary.co.uk

Comment

We are on v9 and use a combination of mole end one stop processing and standard actinic licences. We have 4 users using the actinic licences and another 3 uses using the mole end plug in. Total 7 users accessing at the same time.

All in all it is 'ok'. The mole end software runs very smoothly but we have several crashes a day on the main actinic site. It's managable buy I think v10 is supposed to be more stable.

It is worth trialling for 30 days the mole end plug in if all you want to do is process and view orders. But you can't modify existing orders. So we have a mixture.

Despatch uses mole end, while sales and design uses original actinic.

All in all I am satisfied but we will be upgrading to v11 as I feel v9 is struggling.

Comment

So the mole end one stop processing plug in allows multiple users to work on one site? I f I wanted an extra user to just process orders whats the difference between actinic multi-user license and the mole end plug in?

Comment

We finally bought Business plus V10 with added user and installed it today. After much messing around we kind of got it working, but unfortunately we only seem to be able to open orders on the machine on which Actinic was fired up first i.e no order will open on the other machine - it just hangs, close down Actinic on the first machine and the order pops open on the other. Start Actinic back up on the first and orders won't open, until you close down Actinic on the other. Terribly frustrating and utterly useless as it stands. Just hope it's a simple fix.

Comment

Working...
                              X