X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XP to windows 7 64

Hi all

Using XP Pro and SBS 2003 on the server with V10.4. with 7 workstations

Just looking at possible upgrade to Windows 7 with sbs 2008 in 64 mode and new workstations

Would I see a significant speed increase using actinic or be restricted by 1 gig ethernet link which would defeat the project
    Chris Ashdown

I cant confirm it would be significant as this depends on what your going to spec.

But windows 7 is better at networking most of the time, so a good spec system with at least 8gb ram would probably see some improvements, as for moving to sbs 2008 i dont know what the improvements / reduction in performance might be compared to sbs2003.

You gigabit ethernet card should make no difference providing you have a quality card. Cheap cards are the biggest cause of network speed problems IMHO. something along the lines of an intel pro 1000 series should suffice.

Dont forget your network switch will also have an impact, another possible cause of slow downs on the network. I currently use hp procurves that seem to be upto the job.

Hope fully this will help you make you choice

Darren
    ps weres my shirts, its cold in this office without one

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B View Post
      But windows 7 is better at networking most of the time, so a good spec system with at least 8gb ram would probably see some improvements, as for moving to sbs 2008 i dont know what the improvements / reduction in performance might be compared to sbs2003.
      There have been issues between Xp and Win7 machines not recognising each other on a network so watch out with sbs2003 as it is XP based. We use a 2008 server (not sbs) and that works fine with both XP and Win7.

Make sure that the network cables are 8 wire (all pins connected), some network cables only use 4 cores which works fine with 100M but not with 1Gb, if you have the right cards you can actually get the equivalent of 2Gb as they operate in duplex, transmit and receive at the same time.

Use a switch rather than a hub as hubs transmit to all stations not just the ones involved in a communications increasing network traffic.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
      SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
      Custom Packages

Comment

Originally posted by malbro View Post
        There have been issues between Xp and Win7 machines not recognising each other on a network ...
        We had precisely that problem and after much gnashing of teeth, we had to line MS pockets even more by upgrading all units to W7.
        Having moaned about that, the network is now v. smooth and fast, so it was a good move as far as functionality goes.
        Kind Regards
        Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Working...
        X