Z Reads so sloooooooow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z Reads so sloooooooow

We run a convenience store and by definition do a high volume of small transactions, this is clearly "bloating" the database over time (we now have over 250,000 transactions).

I religiously run a Z-read every night and balance the tills ready for the next day, what used to take 30 seconds per till is now taking up to 10 minutes for a busy day, I'm assuming its due to the size of the database - the transaction.mdb file is now 450Mb!

Anyone have any ideas how to archive some of the older data without making it irretrievable? Or any other suggestions as to why it's now taking so long?

SOLVED SEE LAST POST
    Last edited by Neil_P; 21-Jan-2009, 12:17 PM. Reason: update
    Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be

Z Reads so sloooooooow

Hi - If you have a version of access you can compact the transaction database by going to fix and compact databases in access this helps as we had the same problem
    Steven Morgan
    Cosmetics4u
    http://www.cosmetics4uonline.co.uk

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks for that, I've already tried that but the file is still enormous.
      I think the only way will be to remove and archive some of the data, just not sure how to do it safely without corrupting the file or messing up the transaction numbers.

Comment

OK - if anyone has the same problem you can create an archive of your transactions under main menu > data > transactions > archive

You can name it something relevant including the periods covered so that you can import it later if needed.

Comment

Working...
        X