J2 560 Over heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J2 560 Over heating

I had nearly got the point of throwing the till out of the window, the till was logged in and being used and it would just 'shutdown' completely involuntary!

I went through everything. Virus scanned (although i did think the till was going to die on me, the memory and processor clearly not designed for mcafee!). I checked the registry for any corrupt files, did a known Trojan scan. Defragmented, cleared any temporary files, and made more space. All this in between the till shutting down!

So, i ruled out any software issues!

I went in to the tills Bios settings and checked the temp! The till is clearly quite high and it makes sense that it would shut down to protect itself. Which would explain why it is fine over night when it has no activity or during quiet times in store.

I took the till apart to check if dust was the culprit or a broken fan. The J2 560 after looking it up on the manufactures website is in fact a fan-less till and convects the heat out like a tv screen. So I called up J2 till systems, and explained my problems, and to great relief the till is under a 3 year warranty and I am sending it off tomorrow, with an 10 day? turn around.

My question is:

I am going to have to use a normal desktop computer as a temporary replacement whilst the J2 gets fixed. I assume i can install the actinic software and opos on no problem? I will take a complete copy of my checkout folder and put it on the desktop computer (overwrite) so i know all 8k products will be there and all transaction data. Regarding the license dongle. If the computer doesn't have a printer port to plug in the dongle will the 30 day trial have everything i need? or in other words; it doesn't have any restrictions does it?

I thought i'd post the whole story on here to help anyone who is having the same problem. I will post with J2 Retail Systems response & what happened.

I look forward to a response,

Many thanks in advance,

Alex Maynard

Retail Manager
    Artyfect ltd
    www.artyfect.com

J2 560 Over heating

Hello Alex.

Actinic will operate fine on a Desktop Computer. The recommended minimum spec can be found here. You just need to install the same version of EPOS as what you had on your J2, then (with EPOS closed) copy and paste the necessary database files from the saved Checkout folder into the new one located in C:\Checkout. The database files are:

Data.mdb
    Transaction.mdb
    Order.mdb
    System.mdb
    Stock Movement.mdb
    Z Read.mdb

It will still work fine without a printer attached although it may be a little slower when booting up into the sales screen, this is because the software is attempting to find the hardware. You can however disable OPOS until you have a printer attached and this will speed things up. You do this in Setup\Printing\ - Untick Epson OPOS available.

If your Desktop PC has the printer port then OPOS will need to be configured accordingly per your setup.

By default you will get 30 days free trial and the trial operates like a fully licensed version. The default log on is: 1234

Thanks

Andy

Comment

Working...
    X