Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epson Printer TM-T88iv serial port to USB

Hi

I hope this isn't a silly question but do any of you know if it is possible to connect a serial port receipt printer to a laptop via USB?

I have bought a conversion cable but when I plug it in the printer won't install. I have installed the driver from Epson and chosen the USB method.

Am I spending too long fiddling with this when I should only be plugging it into a serial port?

Any help or suggestions greatly received.

Many thanks
    Claire

If it was a PC you could buy a cheap serial port card and then hopefully your old driver would work.

In a laptop however you will be limited to a converter (which it seems you have got) and then be at the mercy of finding a driver that will work correctly for your printer.

Unfortunately if you need to use the laptop then you may have to replace the printer.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I realise now that I had to find a driver for my converter cable, which I think to have done now. But still the printer is shown as offline.

I think it might be time to give up and go find a cheap PC.

Comment

Make sure that you have a serial driver for the PC's operating system though. There's not much hardware that's supported on serial ports these days.

Comment

Maybe try an etch-a-sketch, pretty sure they had USB ports on them.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
            Maybe try an etch-a-sketch, pretty sure they had USB ports on them.
            I'm afraid not - you need the iEtch-a-sketch for USB compatibility
            The Pretty Dress Company

Comment

Working...
            X