Performance issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance issues

Is it possible to delete old records from the database to improve performance of the epos software?

Have you tried compacting the databases first within the Start Menu, as this is often the cause of slow performance and is a regular routine in Access.

Access can run fine with up to 50K fields, not ideal but it still shouldn't make a huge issue of performance.

You can cleanse the old data off the database, through products. Once finished, purge the database of deleted products.
    Before you begin, take a copy of all databases you are going to be working on, just in case you make an error and need to undo what you have deleted. In an Access table, once its gone, its gone.

Comment

I've tried compacting but wondered if deleting old records would help. The largest database is transactions with the following...

- tblTransaction_Details has 1508941
      - tblTransactions has 613791
      - tblTransaction_Payment has 1334985

Any suggestions?

Thanks
      Mark

Comment

The only way possible of deleting transactions from EPOS is deleting them all via "System Maintance>Delete ALL Transaction Data". You will need to select this row then click on "Excute".

You must backup your data first and this action is is not reversable.
        Technical Support - SellerDeck
        http://www.sellerdeck.co.uk/

Further help can also be found at http://community.sellerdeck.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Comment

How did you get on?

Hi,

I am having performance issues too at the moment.

My main problem is that once I press the red complete button it can take 15 seconds to open the cash drawer.

My databases are accessed over my network, and I have tried compacting them, but there has been no noticeable improvement.

Like you I have seen the size of my transaction database (80mb) and I'm wondering whether this is to blame?

So, are my issues similar to yours, and how did you get on with your deletions?

Many thanks in advance.

Nick.

Comment

If you EPOS db's are network accessed, then first of all you need to ensure that ALL EPOS machines are logged off, as compacting wont work if any machines have the db files in use.

Then, on the mahine that holds the actual EPOS db's, use the menu options for EPOS > Compact Databases and pick each of the databases in turn to compact.

If you take a look at the size prior to conducting and then after, it will then assist you in assessing if the compact was beneficial compared to previous attempts from a size perspective and then you can check if it speeds things along for you usage.

Comment

Working...
            X