Product Filtering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Product Filtering

I am really confused as to how this product filtering works, and hope that I have completely misunderstood it otherwise it is useless for me.

Say perhaps I wish to have pages with different widths of wedding rings 3mm,4mm,5mm and 6mm the customer clicks on their chosen width of 6mm the page will only show available 6mm rings. This is how I feel, and hope it should work.

However where does Actinic collect this data from to determine that a ring is indeed 6mm in order to assign it to that page. I would have thought there were a series of boxes on the product similar to the EAN, ISBN and UPC where I could just enter relevant keywords.

When trying to set up filtering I am only able to filter based on selectable choices, and as such have to add a choice, even if it is not valid a choice, making the product looking appalling.

For instance to place "Men's Titanium Court 6mm Wedding Ring" into filtered results based upon its specification I would need to add the following choices to the product.

Men's ,Titanium, Court ,6mm,wedding ring

None of which are valid choices and would look very messy.

Please someone tell me I am completely wrong.
    Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
    Zirconium Rings
    Damascus Steel Rings

The only way I can get this to work is by adding additional attributes that really are not needed, and look a mess.

See picture.

This is how the product works without filtering Live Site

And with filtering Test Server
    Attached Files
    Regards

Jason

Zirconium Rings
    Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

You don't need to use drop down attributes, you can use a custom filter / variable / property, check the in-built help for "filtering" or see the knowledge base article: SellerDeck 2013: Product Filtering
      Peblaco

Comment

Many thanks for your reply.

After reading up, seeing the images in the help file it would appear that my version is missing the Product options so I am not able to set values.

Not sure if this is software problem, or upgrade V11 site problem.

Will investigate further.

Kind regards

Jason
        Regards

Jason

Zirconium Rings
        Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

The KB article is a little out of date but is basically sound. I've asked for it to be updated.

What it doesn't mention is how to set up variables for filtering. Take a look at the sample shop, and find the variables Gender, Jewellery Type and Occasion under Design Library | Variables, Products section. (Note that if you've upgraded an existing site you won't see these variables).

These variables appear in the Product dialog on the Properties sheet. You can add your own variables by right-clicking the list of variables in the Design library.

The variables are used in the filter TypeOfJewellery, to give the list of checkbox options for a customer to filter products; and also in various sections for choosing which products appear in the filtering list in the first place.

It's early days with filtering, and we'll be improving the material we have for setting it up. But we do cope with your situation.
          Hugh Gibson
          CTO - Sellerdeck, part of ClearCourse

Comment

If you click the 'How Do I? link at the bottom of the Filtering tab of the Section Details, it will point you to a couple of step by step help articles related to filtering.

The help section 'Properties Specific to One Type of Product' covers the steps involved in setting up product properties to be used for Filtering.
            Bruce Townsend
            Ecommerce Product Manager
            Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

Hi Bruce,

Trying this again.

Tried using the "How do I" button but the link is wrong.

When I click "How do I enable shoppers to view products that match a specific criteria"

it takes me to the page

"How do I change the format in which emails are sent"

Do you have a "How do I" on how to use The how do I
              Regards

Jason

Zirconium Rings
              Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

I apologise for the bad link in the help. It has already been reported and will be fixed in a maintenance release.

You can find the correct article by choosing 'Help Topics' from the Help menu and searching for "How do I enable shoppers to view products that match a specific criteria"
                Bruce Townsend

Comment

Originally posted by brucet View Post
                  I apologise for the bad link in the help. It has already been reported and will be fixed in a maintenance release.

You can find the correct article by choosing 'Help Topics' from the Help menu and searching for "How do I enable shoppers to view products that match a specific criteria"
                  Bad show Bruce, would have thought this would have been fixed in 12.01 as it is only a simple link.
                  Regards

Jason

Zirconium Rings
                  Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

12.0.1 was already in beta by the time the issue was reported.

It will be fixed in the next maintenance release. If you email me, bruce.townsend@sellerdeck.co.uk, I can send you the corrected help file
                    Bruce Townsend

Comment

Working...
                    X