Cgi path

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cgi path

My server provider made changes over the weekend and I had made a new user name and password.
    Now I have an error showing with the CGI path,
    they told me to do either of these but they do not work:

http://home/u808-xmn3o2bnucyq/www/ba..._html/cgi-bin/

http://home/customer/www/bagcraft.co..._html/cgi-bin/

THANKS in advance for your kind attention

Attached Files

This will probably be the CGI-Path in the FTP details box, i.e. the 'Path to CGI-BIN:' setting.

First, delete everything in the 'Path from CGI_BIN to Online Store Folder as Viewed by the FTP Server (Leave blank unless advised otherwise)' - This is very rarely needed as the other settings tell Sellerdeck how to get to the cgi-bin and how to get from there to the online store folder. Entering details in here is typically just an opportunity to confuse things.

Secondly, the 'Path to CGI-BIN:' should just be the path to the cgi-bin from where you are when you ftp into your server. Usually, if you ftp into the root of a website domain the path will just be '/cgi-bin/' (without the apostrophes).

If that 'Path to CGI-BIN' doesn't work, the best options are to either ftp into your site and work it out from there or to try and run the network wizard. (Or share this post with your server provider and they should be able to work it out for you).

Good luck.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Thanks Mike

This is the reply the web host came back with

I have made a tweek on the FTP account and now you should be able to establish a connection.

However, I noticed on the screenshot that you set access to another folder - catalog. I am afraid that this FTP account would not be able to access it because it is restricted to cgi-bin only.

As alternatively, you need to create another FTP account with access to /. After that, set the CGI-Bin path to be:

/bagcraft.uk/public_html/cgi-bin

Hence, it will be able to access both folders - acatalog and cgi-bin.

As an alternative, you can contact a third party professional developer who is familiar with the application and has the required knowledge and skill set to provide you with assistance on this issue.

Unfortunately I am unable to recommend such a developer, however, you should be able to find one from the freelance websites available onlin

still not working

Comment

OK. It sounds as the ftp account with the username and password you have is taking you straight into the cgi-bin rather than the root of your server. It might also have restricted access rights stopping sellerdeck from writing files outside of the cgi-bin bin.

Are you able to create a new ftp account using the control panel you have for your web server? If so create one that has access to the root level of the server rather than the /cgi-bin/ . If not I have to wonder why your host didn't offer to create one for you especially as he's apparently made a tweak for you.

Have you tried using the network setup wizard? If so how far did it get.

Some web hosts make things far more complicated than they need to be. It's usually only a few steps to get it working but it's hard to know quite how they've set things up so it's often a case of trying to see what works.

Final question, who is the webhost. If it's a common one the network settings might be on the forum already.

Mike

Comment

Thanks, Mike for your time and care, very much appreciated. The server is siteground.

I will send them a copy of your response as it seems to be very comprehensive and crystal clear.

Comment

hi Mike, please kindly see attachment , the wizard gets stuck on this
            Attached Files

Comment

OK. I'd say that probably confirms what your webhost has said about the FTP account taking you straight into the cgi-bin folder and it looks as if Sellerdeck has mistakenly created an acatalog folder there.

What you really need is an ftp account that will take you to the root of your domain. That way sellerdeck can write both the HTML files to the root and the perl files to cgi-bin on the folder.

Once you have that it should be fairly straight forward to get it working.

Once last thing you could try with your current settings. As your ftp account takes you straight to the cgi-bin try the following:

- Leave the 'Path to CGI-BIN:' blank (as you're already there)
              - Leave the Path from CGI_BIN to Online Store Folder as Viewed by the FTP Server (Leave blank unless advised otherwise)' blank or try '../acatalog/'

That might work if your ftp account has sufficient permission levels.

Mike

Comment

hi Mike,
                still trying to get it to work

this was the server people replied

There is no need to specify that again in the FTP Client. Otherwise it will try to reach a non-existing path:

/bagcraft.uk/public_html/cgi-bin//bagcraft.uk/public_html/cgi-bin/

To resolve this in the FTP Client leave the "path" field empty or set only "/".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike , please view attachment of my network settings, does that look correct what i have ?

Attached Files

Comment

From what I know of this, those settings look they should work. Leaving the 'Path to cgi-bin' blank is what both I and your hosts have suggested.

I've no idea what you've asked the server people but presumably you've asked them about '/bagcraft.uk/public_html/cgi-bin/' because otherwise I can't see why they've mentioned it. This was only needed when you set up the ftp account to tell it where to log in to. Once that's set up in the ftp account then you don't need it again. Think of it like your house. You have an address that says where it is and maybe you give it to a friend to come over for dinner (that's like the path setup in the ftp account ). Once they're in your house they don't need the address again to get from the living room to the bathroom, you'd just say 'go up the stairs and it's on the right'. This is the relative addressing that Sellerdeck needs to know once it's logged in using the ftp account.

You're website isn't functional at the moment because it looks as if it's not executing the perl scripts. Whether this because of where the scripts are being loaded to or because of the server setup I couldn't say. Someone would need to look at your server to see what's happening.

Sellerdeck just needs to know two things about the server file structure:

1. Where to write the perl scripts to once it's logged in. In this case leave the 'path to cgi-bin' blank as the ftp account goes straight to the cgi-bin.
                  2. How to get from the cgi-bin to the html location to write the html files. This is the path to the online store folder which is ../acatalog/

The thing is that your hosts seems unable to sensibly communicate with you and solve your problems and this is not complicated. If your hosts can't help you get this working then I suspect the only option that really makes any sense is to switch to someone who can.

Comment

Working...
                  X