Search and Filtering results with Add to Cart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search and Filtering results with Add to Cart

I have tried Norman's Search results hack (http://community.sellerdeck.com/show...9&postcount=89) in v12 without success. Has anyone been able to add an add to cart button to filtered search results?

Thanks - sorry if this is a double post.
    Jonathan Chappell
    Website Designer
    SellerDeck Website Designer
    Actinic to SellerDeck upgrades
    Graphicz Limited - www.graphicz.co.uk

Hi.

Just wanted to know if there is an update on this. I too want to display an add to cart button on the filtered results pages. We are a very seasonal business and for a lot of the year we may only have 50% of our items available and I doubt customers will want to keep clicking through to a product from the results page only to find it is out of stock. Filtering is there to ease navigation but this could prove to hinder it.

I imagine I would need to add something to the actinic search script but no idea how.

Cheers
    www.norfolkherbs.co.uk
    Online Shop at: www.homescentherbs.co.uk

Comment

Last I heard it was a no-no and Support's solution was to remove the referring paragraph from the AUG.

I guess the more customers like you who ask for it, the more likely it is to happen, eventually.

Best wishes

Jonathan
      Jonathan Chappell
      Website Designer
      SellerDeck Website Designer
      Actinic to SellerDeck upgrades
      Graphicz Limited - www.graphicz.co.uk

Comment

We are a very seasonal business and for a lot of the year we may only have 50% of our items available and I doubt customers will want to keep clicking through to a product from the results page only to find it is out of stock.
        We have an internal wish-list ticket for using stock levels in filtering (WL-2746) - i.e. hiding filtering results with no stock, with 4 requests now. If anyone else wants this please register your interest by commenting in this thread and I'll update the field reports. More field reports means more likelihood of being implemented.
        Hugh Gibson
        CTO - Sellerdeck, part of ClearCourse

Comment

Yes, please.

My first thought on reading this thread was "can't you filter on stock?"

Mike
          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

+1 from me. I would also like to hide filtering results with no stock. Can we also have product functionality as indicated by graphicz i.e. add to cart from both the search and filtering results.
            Peblaco

Comment

This would work in some instances but not for us. We may use a filter to display plants suitable to grow in the shade. If a filter hides out of stock items, the user won't see which plants are good. Most people buying plants understand seasonality so will plan gardens (using our site for help) in the winter and buy in the spring. If they see filter results with only 1 or 2 plants showing, they will assume that we don't grow much and buy elsewhere!

Why is it not possible to have an add to cart button on the filter/search results - surely this is simple enough to add. .....?
              www.norfolkherbs.co.uk

Comment

This would work in some instances but not for us.
                Like everything else in SellerDeck, it would be an option

Why is it not possible to have an add to cart button on the filter/search results
                It may be relatively easy for some simple products without options (components, attrbiutes, choices) , but for the general case it's quite hard as we would have to replicate the complete buying environment in the filter results.

Having said that, if it's added for simple products and it satisfies 80% of the cases then that's probably pretty useful. Again, the more votes, the more likely it is to be done.
                Hugh Gibson

Comment

Thanks Hugh

Understand that it is tricky with complicated products. Perhaps there is a way that instead of placing an add to cart button, perhaps a simple statement to say 'in stock' or 'out of stock'. It would not have to be a button executing any script just a non- click-able image would suffice. The customer would then click through to the product knowing it or one of it's component product are in stock.

With my current v8 site, each section shows a group of products, with each product showing if they are in or out of stock and then the customer can click through to read more. With my soon to be launched v12 site, this is not going to be possible unless i don't use filtering (which I want to!).

I wonder if there is a way round this - ideas anyone?
                  www.norfolkherbs.co.uk

Comment

There is an API call to get stock levels for one or more products. The JavaScript on the page would have to determine the products on display, get the stock levels for them, and update the information for each product.

It's not too difficult and someone from the addon community might be able to do it relatively quickly. We don't have the time to develop it at the moment.

With the new release the filtering is done completely in the browser (after an initial call to the server). This makes it easier to remove products which are out of stock so they don't even appear in the list. Again, once the code is out there someone may be able to develop this, though obviously they can't add a UI option in the desktop application to control it.
                    Hugh Gibson

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

It is helpful to know where I stand so I don't carry on scratching my head.
                      I will carry on working on the site and will contact the addon developers to see if they have some ideas..... unless they want to contact me first that is

I friend has this site (not sellerdeck) but they have what I am after...www dot plantpref dot co dot uk
                      Filtered results page show an add to cart button if in stock and nothing if not.

Cheers,
                      Olly
                      www.norfolkherbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by peblaco View Post
                        +1 from me. I would also like to hide filtering results with no stock. Can we also have product functionality as indicated by graphicz i.e. add to cart from both the search and filtering results.
                        + 1 from me too!
                        Conspiracy Snowboard, Ski & Skate Shop
                        St. Albans, Herts
                        www.conspiracy.uk.com

Comment

I can't believe this still hasn't been fixed, its a major flaw in the filtering software and one a couple of my clients can't get their heads around.

They can't believe you can display anything you want on the product section page (stock levels, add to cart, custom variables etc ) yet when the products gets filtered you can only display the product name, image and price.

Its puts a major limit on what you can design and display and one of the clients in question is looking to move to because of the filtering limitations.

When will this bug be fixed?

Comment

The design of SellerDeck is to have a full-featured rendering engine which creates product pages with all the options required. This runs on the desktop with full access to product information from the database.

With filtering, the JavaScript and Perl scripts have to create the product information in the results using a template embedded in the page (search results layout). The scripts don't have access to the full database information. This is deliberate, to restrict the amount of information that has to be transferred from the desktop to the Server, and then from Server to the browser. We also use our own data format which is fast but not as convenient as a full-fledged database.

We are working on enabling Variables to be inserted into the search/filter template. This will be in the next major release (SD2014). We've also found that Variables work well in combination with JavaScript embedded in the layout (PHP won't run in the browser).

However, having the full rendering engine functionality (which would enable Add to Cart buttons) isn't currently in our plans.

Plans are subject to change - we keep listening to what people want. We always try and prioritise requests. So if enough people shout in this thread then it will have an effect - always assuming that any technical problems can be solved.
                            Hugh Gibson

Comment

Another vote from me.

See also http://community.sellerdeck.com/showthread.php?t=54658
                              Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
                              Zirconium Rings
                              Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

Working...
                              X