Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copied Layouts

Whoah! Scary!

(I'm very new to Sellerdeck 2013 / Previously V7.5...)

Before making changes to Layouts, I make a 'Copy' of the Layout... (Library, Layouts, Right-click, Copy)

After having made a serious error I went back to the original 'copy' to copy/paste the code from this 'backup' into the original layout.

What I found was the 'Copy' had been modified also!

I did it all again and made a Copy of the Copy of the Copy... All 4-versions of the Layout get modified when you change any one of them!

What is the point of 'Copy' if it is the same code?

PS: I tried a Compact/Repair and still the same...

Any ideas?

KR

Bill.
    Bill

HTML Code:
    <a href="www.spicesofindia.co.uk">www.spicesofindia.co.uk</a>

SellerDeck doesn't do this. I use this capability all the time and have never had such a problem and I don't recall anyone else reporting it.

Perhaps you've a corrupted database.

Try a fresh install onto a clean spare machine and see if the fault happens there.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi Norman,

Thanks for your reply.

Sellerdeck is *Most Definitely* doing this!

It is *only* doing it on 1-particular layout but it *is* happening...

I have Compacted and repaired.

I have manually deleted the Index and recreated it.

I have created a new table from scratch and re-pasted the data into it.

I have even created a new database...

Now: really strange thing is: There is 1 column in this row of data that cannot be edited in MS-Access. You can Copy/Paste the whole piece of data, no problem. You can delete any number of characters from the data, no problem. You can Copy/paste twice the data in the field, no problem. BUT, if I try to add say the letter "a" to the beginning of the string then it bombs Access.

I have created a new [empty] MDB/Table/Single Column and pasted this piece of data - same problems... I have been working with MS-Access since inception and know it, plus the Sellerdeck MDB, inside out.

Having said all that, by modifying the data in Access, it doesn't replicate the problem that I reported in Sellerdeck. So it proves it's not a corruption or indexing issue. It is something inside Sellerdeck...

I currently have 10-copies of that particular layout and, if I modify any single one, all 10 are updated!

However, if I 'Create a new Layout' based on [none] and paste the code in there - the problem goes away. If I then create a copy of that layout the problem has also disappeared...

BTW: I don't know if it is instrumental but the Layout is the most Outer layout of the site...

KR

Bill.
      Bill

HTML Code:

Comment

AHA! Found it!...

If I go to 'Edit Layout Details' I see 'Filename of External File'

In the 'Copied' Layout it has the same filename.

So, I'm guessing the data is stored in that file *as well* as in the mdb and the source is being picked up from the file, rather than the mdb, when you go to edit the data... V.Dangerous!!

Cheers,

KR

Bill.
        Bill

HTML Code:

Comment

Apologies. When you said Before making changes to Layouts I assumed it was happening generally, and not just on a single layout. I've never seen a "Filename of External File" setting. What Layout / Layout Type was it?
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Custom outer layouts are handled 'differently' to other layouts. I've had issues trying to include them in partial design snapshots and as a result I thought custom outer layouts were only stored external to the database.

Comment

OK Guys, Sussed it...

The problem is related to 'Edit Layout in Dreamweaver...'

If you use this feature, and specify a filename to parse the data between Sellerdeck & Dreamweaver.., when you 'Copy' the layout it also copies the filename specified...

When you edit the 'source' of the layout, Sellerdeck is copying the code from the file rather than the database.

A nasty 'bug' in my opinion!

Make sense?...

KR

Bill
              Bill

HTML Code:

Comment

Working...
              X