Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big SEO Issue with upgrading to 2013

Hi All,

Why does Sellerdeck now create URL's with dashes instead of underscores ?

We look after a site that has for many many years had pages such as

domain.com/this_page.html

Now these are all

domain.com/this-page.html

Where can this be changed ?

Or do I have to create about a thousand page 301 redirects in the htaccess ?

It should only be changing page file names from underscores to hyphens if you create new pages. The format was changed because it was recommended for search engines to recognise words separately. It is also on the Google webmasters help page URL structure "We recommend that you use hyphens (-) instead of underscores (_) in your URLs." There was a wish list request at Using - has Page Name Seperators. It was added to the software and can be set at Design menu > Design Options > Page Name Separator.
    Peblaco

Comment

Many thanks Peblaco

Will get on it

Comment

When I upgraded from V10 to 2013, the underscores in my Extended Info page names all changed to hyphens. As I use Extended Info pages as SPP pages for all my products this messed up my SEO initially, but in two or three weeks Google had found my new pages and everything was back to normal.
        John Ennals
        www.tortoys.co.uk

Comment

Cheers John

Question - trying to sort out the htaccess so that nonwww heads to www

Have the following in the htaccess

RewriteEngine On
          RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.uktobacco\.com$ [NC]
          RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.uktobacco.com/$1 [L,R=301]

Does not seem to be working .......

Hosted with names.co.uk ....

Any clues

Comment

This should be a separate thread really (and I don't know the answer!) but on a similar subject and if you haven't done so already you should go into Google Webmaster Tools and set your preferred domain: either [domainname] or www. [domainname]
            John Ennals
            www.tortoys.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X