Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Image Size,Resolution & naming convention

Hi ,

Not sure if some of these questions have been answered before. If so, my apologies. The qiestion is in 2 parts.

1. Image Size / Resolution.

To implement Zooming feature on our website (probably be Norman's Magic Zoom Plus), I would like some advice/guidelines as what sizes in pixels these should be standardised at. At preset, I'm considering 3 different sizes, namely small (thumbnails), medium (product page), large (for Zooming) whilst leaving the originals in-tact. Once resized, I'lll optimise it using ImageOptim on MAC. Previously I had 160x160 for thumbnails & 320x320 for product page.

2. Naming Convention.

From SEO point of view, is it really beneficial to have the image name that describes the product i.e. Should the thumbnail for Hunter Original KIds Wellies in Black (Style W23500 ) be something like

s-hunter-original-kids-black-w23500.jpg

or can I simply have s-hu-w23500-blk.jpg

If so, what would the maximum filename can Sellerdeck handle?

Any advice would be much appreciated
    Many Thanks in Advance
    Nilesh

If you're using my Magic Zoom Plus for SD, then the additional images can be as big as the maximum screen size you expect them to be viewed at. My add-on automatically creates the icons and alternate product images so there's no need to produce other sized images.

If they get viewed on a smaller screen, then the zoom images automatically get shrunk to fit. Try it and see on http://www.drillpine.biz/v9magiczoom...ncing_Kit.html - make the browser window tiny and you'll still see all of the zoomed images.

As for image filenames, readability at your end may be the best priority. Neither of your suggested naming conventions would be a problem.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks Norman for the prompt reply and it is indeed, the Magic Zoom Plus for SD that I am looking at.

As you mentioned, the additional filenames gets automatically resized by MagicZoom Plus. Doesn't the script resizing affect load times. Everywhere I read, it says you should always pre-create the image to the required size. Personally, I'm fine with it, if that the way it works. My only concern is that some of the hi-res images I have are 5814x4026 i.e. 21 Mb. in size, Hence, I need to standardise the resolution & reduce them in size so it doesn't impact page load times.

Also, I still need to create thumbnails for section lists & filter pages.

As for naming convention, I'll stick to s-hu-w23500-blk.jpg. Much simplier to manage.

Thanks
      Nilesh

Comment

My Magic Zoom Plus automatically pre-creates the small icons and replacement product images at the optimal size you see them. It doesn't use the big image you supply until the customer clicks to see said large image. So no performance hit.

Providing product thumbnail images will be useful as you have surmised.

As for file-names, if you put the size suffix last (e.g. hu-w23500-blk-s.jpg) then all images for that product will show together when you list them in alphabetic order.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Many thanks for the clarification.

I'm sending you an email for the purchase of Magic Zoom Plus. You should receive it shortly.

In the meantime, I'll create thumbnails at 160x160 and standardise large images at 1024x1024. Since the size is not part of the name, they can always be recreated using batch resize.

Comment

Working...
          X