Snapshot exclusions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snapshot exclusions

Is there away of excluding digital download files from snapshots? I have a lot of DDs and they make the snapshot too huge for comfort when it comes to uploading/downloading backups etc.

Originally posted by PabloTech View Post
    Is there away of excluding digital download files from snapshots? I have a lot of DDs and they make the snapshot too huge for comfort when it comes to uploading/downloading backups etc.
    Unfortunately not; I will add a entry to our wish list for this.

If you backup is for archival purposes only, you can use the database backup facility on shutdown which will make a copy of the database only. You can then reduce the frequency of the full snapshot backup to when a physical file is added or changed.

Comment

The snapshot beautifully captures everything but does make for huge files when DD is used.

I use a freeware program called Syncback which just runs as an archive routine to duplicate the site1 folder with filters set to exclude specific folders (DD) or file types (PDF). That grabs everything needed other than the DD files which are archived separately.

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Thanks both for the tips - I like the sound of Syncback and will investigate

Comment

Originally posted by PabloTech View Post
          If your Digital Download files are in one folder (or subfolders of one) then you can temporarily rename the folder before taking the snapshot - and remember to name it back afterwards.

You can do the same for images if they are also in one folder so your snapshot is much smaller without digital download and images.

I do that when emailing a snapshot for support as it makes the file a lot smaller and, for most purposes, it still includes all that support require.

You just have to ignore the message about missing files when you generate the snapshot.

If the option to exclude digital downloads is being added to the wish list then how about the option to exclude images too.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Balmer View Post
            temporarily rename the folder .... You can do the same for images
            How does that affect the next upload? Will SellerDeck not see them as a new file and try and upload them all from scratch again?

Bikster

Comment

If you don't want them in the snapshot can you not just keep them in a folder somewhere outside the sites folder?

You'll get warning messages but if that's the only issue it's not too bad.

Mike
              -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hughes View Post
                If you don't want them in the snapshot can you not just keep them in a folder somewhere outside the sites folder?
                Doesn't that still back them up and then replace them in NOTCATALOG folder when importing back in? I often get clients snapshots where they save images outside the Site1 folder but they are backed up and import back into the Site1 folder on a different machine with the option to update paths.

Bikster

Comment

You could be right. It used to exclude them but I guess Sellerdeck now tries to get you keep them where they want them.

It's tough because on the one hand it's right for sellerdeck to do what they can to get people to back up their site but on the other hand there are many decent back up packages around that will do everything in the background and are really a better option for most users.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
                    How does that affect the next upload? Will SellerDeck not see them as a new file and try and upload them all from scratch again?
                    As long as you put the renamed folder(s) back to exactly the same name after taking the snapshot and BEFORE doing the next "Publish to Web" or "Publish Current Page" then SellerDeck doesn't try to republish them. The check for changed digital download or image files is only made while publishing so it doesn't notice they where missing for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hughes View Post
                      It's tough because on the one hand it's right for sellerdeck to do what they can to get people to back up their site but on the other hand there are many decent back up packages around that will do everything in the background and are really a better option for most users.
                      You can't knock SellerDeck at all for the snapshot routine. If the PC dies or you have to swap machine you know everything you need to get back up and running is there in one single file with a point and click option to restore .. perfect for the SellerDeck keep it simple for non-techies philosophy.

It would be interesting to see how many people do not back up on a daily or even monthly basis ... you know who I mean Dan!

Bikster

Comment

Thanks for all the tips - some good workarounds there. A related thing is that on one of my sites, SD ignores the "exclude digital files" option and insists on reloading them all on a Refresh. I believe this might be a known bug that happens intermittently?

Comment

Working...
                        X