Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Variables Double Up

Hi

I have had this in the past but just ignored it, however it is a bit of a pain, I have some custom variables, some used for filtering and some just for extra text, the problem is that even after a compact they still appear twice in some places within the site, so when selecting true/false or entering text it has to be done again underneath, two lots of the same variable.

Can anyone offer any advise on how to resolve it please as I can only assume its some kind of bug

Thanks very much
    Many Thanks
    Lee
    www.mdnsupplies.co.uk
    www.hookandloopfasteners.co.uk

Is this happening on a clean SD 2013 site or one that has been upgraded from an earlier version?
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi Norman,

Clean site, I have had it and still got a couple on one site, but transferred a clean snapshot from one pc to another and loads of variables have doubled
      Many Thanks
      Lee
      www.mdnsupplies.co.uk

Comment

Eeek! I only ever encountered this on earlier SD versions. And then it seemed to mainly be on variables associated with Choices.

Where are you using these variables?

Comment

Everywhere ;-) badly affected is a true/false variable to hide brochure pages in the navigation so that is set a site level, the other is a slider with around 6 variables per slide with 8 slides in total, all have doubled up so now instead of 48 I have 96 variables again set at site level.
          Many Thanks
          Lee
          www.mdnsupplies.co.uk

Comment

I've never come across this but the first thing I'd do is look at the variables in the design library to make sure they don't somehow appear twice.

Mike
            -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

@lee - I have this on random variables on v10, v11 & v12 ... sometimes they double up after being absolutely fine for years. Compacting does not resolve.

As you say, you have to set both variables for it to take effect.

I have been living with the shame for ages, glad to be out in the open

Bikster
              SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Jont, its always been something I have just lived with, but this time has caused a major issue, simply down to the fact that every variable added has been doubled up.

The joys of it all!!
                Many Thanks
                Lee
                www.mdnsupplies.co.uk

Comment

Here's something worth trying (but try on a test machine first). And backup the entire Site folder, just in case.

Export a Partial Site Design of these Variables and all Layouts that use them. That will create a file Act_DesignExport.txt in your Site folder. Rename this (My_DesignExport.txt) so you don't accidentally overwrite it.

Then delete all these layouts and variables from the Library (or just delete the contents of the layouts).
                  Compact databases.

Edit My_DesignExport.txt in a text editor (I use notepad++) and look for the Variable lines to see if any are duplicated. If you see duplicate lines, delete them. Save modified file to new name Fixed_DesignExport.txt

Now use File / Import to import Fixed_DesignExport.txt (choosing Update when asked) and see if that's fixed things.

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
                    @lee - I have this on random variables on v10, v11 & v12 ... sometimes they double up after being absolutely fine for years. Compacting does not resolve.

As you say, you have to set both variables for it to take effect.

I have been living with the shame for ages, glad to be out in the open
                    Same here, a regular problem, often on layout selectors, especially on fragment layout i have found.

Selecting something on the second instance of the choice is usually the one that initiates a change, the first one in my experience is often a phantom one that changes nothing, sometimes by choosing a completely different choice, the phantom one disappears too.

A very random and annoying, hard to replicate issue.

Comment

Now seeing this too.

What's odd is that when the duplicate variable appears it seems to have a different value to the original one.

Definitely a bit buggy.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Working...
                      X