Canonical tags and filtering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canonical tags and filtering

Well this is odd! Has anyone else come aross this?

I use thise bit of code for canonical tags

Code:
    <!-- Canonical Tags -->
    <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%27Brochure%27" >
    <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22IsBrochureHomePage%22%20%2f%3e" >
    <link rel="canonical" href="<actinic:variable name="WebSiteURL" />" />	
    </actinic:block>	
    <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%27Brochure%27" >
    <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22IsBrochureHomePage%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20false">
    <link rel="canonical" href="<actinic:variable name="CatalogURL" /><actinic:variable name="BrochurePageURL" />" />
    <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22Section%22" >
    	<link rel="canonical" href="<actinic:variable name="CatalogURL" /><actinic:variable name="SectionPageName" />" />
    In Filtered pages, it breaks to layout by stopping the page recognising the stylesheets. Howver it still reognises the stylesheets for google fonts and share this.

Same with this

Code:
    	<script type="text/javascript">
    document.write ('<link rel="canonical" href="'+window.location+'" />');
    </script>
    However if I wrap the code in this blockif

Code:
    <actinic:variable name="IsFilteringEnabled" /> == false
    The page displays correctly AND the canonical link displays! BUT the canonical link does not display in pages clicked through to from the Best sellers list.

It is on a client site just now, I will add it to my test site and post the URL soon.

Is it something to do with base href ? - Baffled!

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks
    Jonathan Chappell
    Website Designer
    SellerDeck Website Designer
    Actinic to SellerDeck upgrades
    Graphicz Limited - www.graphicz.co.uk

OK: Test site:

http://www.graphicz.gb.com/site1-skeleton/

Even more weirdly, link s present in filtered page 'wedding jewelery' but not filtered page 'men' and not in links from best sellers

Adding Louise's link from here works for the best seller linked pages: http://community.sellerdeck.com/showthread.php?t=54467
    Code:
    <!--Louise's -->
    <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%27Product%20Page%27">
    <link rel="canonical" href="<actinic:block php="true">echo '<actinic:variable name="CatalogURL" encoding="perl" selectable="false" />' . basename('<actinic:variable name="ProductPageName" encoding="perl" selectable="false" />');</actinic:block>">
    Last edited by graphicz; 10-Aug-2014, 09:40 AM. Reason: Addition
    Jonathan Chappell
    Website Designer

Comment

SellerDeck has a canonical tag and rel next / previous tags at the bottom of the Standard Meta Tags layout for a section with pagination. Since the demo site "Wedding Jewellery" page has pagination it shows the canonical and rel="next" tag. However the "Mens" section does not have pagination and does not show those default tags.

The links from Best Sellers are usually going to Product Pages if enabled, which you had not defined in the first set of blockifs but have since found the code posted for Product Page so you now have that working.

P.S. I noticed you use SellerDeck with a canonical tag for section with store folder and page name, that can cause a problem for filtered pages and search engines not indexing products, I put up a new post: http://community.sellerdeck.com/showthread.php?t=55375
      Peblaco

Comment

Thanks, as always, Louise. I will raise a support ticket.

Best wishes

Support ticket number #67965

Please also see this post of Louise's: http://community.sellerdeck.com/showthread.php?t=55375
        Last edited by graphicz; 11-Aug-2014, 08:52 AM. Reason: Support ticket number added.
        Jonathan Chappell
        Website Designer

Comment

Hugh is on the case and will be in touch,

Thanks

Jonathan
          Jonathan Chappell
          Website Designer

Comment

I am afraid that Louise's code from http://community.sellerdeck.com/showthread.php?t=55375
            Does not solve my problem where the site stops recognising the css files when the canonical link is used in filtered pages. The relevant "rel="stylesheet" " expressions are just absent from view source.

I am having to block IsFilteringEnabled == false round my section canonical expression.

Anyone in support want a snapshot????
            Jonathan Chappell
            Website Designer

Comment

Working...
            X