Virtual desktops for opening more than one site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual desktops for opening more than one site

We run a few shops and for mail order transaction have to switch between them to process orders which seem to take an age when someone is on the phone.

Just been reading about Virtual Desktops and wondered if this would allow for one SellerDeck store to open on desktop 1 and then a different store to be open on desktop 2?

James
    www.butterflies-healthcare.co.uk
    www.viteyes.co.uk - vitamins for macular degeneration
    www.natorigin.co.uk - natural/organic cosmetics and skin care for sensitive skin & eyes
    www.butterflies-eyecare.co.uk - eye drops, vitamins and other eye care products
    www.prescription-swimming-goggles.co.uk - optical and prescription swimming goggles

I use "sandboxie" to run two sites of the same version at the same time. I use this for copying code and checking stuff from one site to another.

The sandboxed site will lose any changes once closed unless you recover the files and transfer to the live site folders as the sandboxed version sits in a discreet partition of the hard drive completely away from the live site folders.

May not be suitable for you but worth putting out there as it is worth its weight in gold.

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I use virtual machines to deisgn sites on different point releases. I would expect you could do the same to manage a number of sites concrrenly without having to close one and open another.

Comment

Like Duncan, I use a set of VMWare virtual machines to run several point releases.

However once the VM is closed you can't get at the individual site files.

Might be worth experimenting with VM's but keeping the Site and Temp folders on a mapped or network drive on the main host system.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks, all might have a play with this.

James
          www.butterflies-healthcare.co.uk
          www.viteyes.co.uk - vitamins for macular degeneration
          www.natorigin.co.uk - natural/organic cosmetics and skin care for sensitive skin & eyes
          www.butterflies-eyecare.co.uk - eye drops, vitamins and other eye care products
          www.prescription-swimming-goggles.co.uk - optical and prescription swimming goggles

Comment

Desktop PC's are cheap now, even a old second-hand one on XP would do for the lesser site, you could use two PC's side by side and a 2-way KVM Switch new or off fleabay.

One keyboard, mouse & monitor on your desk, hit a button to switch from one to the other, SDeck already open.

You can also get four port KVMs to run four desktops.......
            ______
            Paul
            Paul
            Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

Working...
            X