Responsive site hasn't increased sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Responsive site hasn't increased sales

I had a very low conversion rate for my old site on mobiles and tablets yet 48% of my visitors are via these devices.

When I heard of this 2014 upgrade was responsive I researched and found loads of web sites saying that conversions will significantly increase on mobiles and tablets with a responsive site. I have heard of figures of 60% + increase in conversion rate.

I think mine has actually gone down very slightly yet my site seems to work fine.

Any ideas?

www.thepenzone.co.uk

Do you have a breakdown of conversion rates against device types?

If you see that the conversion rate is much the same proportion then this may point to something about your site in general. If however you see a lower conversion rate for mobiles then you may need to look at the lack of information presented due to the reduced space.

Comment

Just checked Analytics

Last 3 weeks with responsive site

Desktop 91.67% of all sales
      Mobile 2.78% of all sales
      Tablet 5.56% of all sales

Checked it with 3 weeks in November before responsive site was introduced

Desktop 81.94% of all sales
      Mobile 4.86% of all sales
      Tablet 13.19% of all sales

As you can see mobile and tablet have dropped significantly

Conversion rate overall was exactly the same.

Comment

I noticed a lot of your content is graphical. Text on images that get smaller on mobiles wont be very readable.

On your home page your centre content is mainly graphics which wont get picked up by search engines. Were they like that on old site before responsive?

On the Google Page speed test the site is quite slow. There can be a number of facts for this including the JavaScript files used right down to content

Google Page Test:

https://developers.google.com/speed/...nzone.co.uk%2F

Comment

I need to improve the home page.

I have put a post on here before needing advice so I could get the three different squares with content in to change from 3 across to 2 then 1 across whilst keeping the text fragment as 1 across and but this I think was going to be complicated. I do need to add alt tags to this page. I will do that today.

The home page now is very similar to previous.

I can compress the image size but not by too much without loosing quality when viewed on a larger screen. As for java, this is standard with Sellerdeck and I can't reduce this any more. I haven't changed much of the html or css from standard.

I have just tried this developer tool and mine isn't much different results from my competitors.

Comment

I can't comment on the performance of the JavaScript files SellerDeck uses. Perhaps speak to them directly.

However, I do recommend you reduce need for text to be image based. This be a good start for you.

I personally don't use the standard templates and create bespoke version instead

Comment

Originally posted by mediamole View Post
              However, I do recommend you reduce need for text to be image based. This be a good start for you.
              This is only on the home page so should I just add alt tags to this?

During the last 3 weeks the home page only received 7.31% of visitors as a landing page and 2.44% of total page visits so would this really affect conversions?

Is there any other opinions, does it look crap or is it hard to navigate?

Comment

ALT text is important for images, but the pods in centre of home page go to relevant areas so it would be highly recommended to make the text currently an image text and a link. This would then give the links more meaningful

Comment

Perhaps look at your competitors to see how they market / showcase themselves. These guys used to use sellerdeck, and recently had a makeover and changed CMS's from what I can see.

Still a good example of a site in your market place

http://www.cultpens.com/

Comment

Just added alt text and made the home page more responsive.

I still can't see this improving conversions on mobiles and tablets as only a small percentage of people view this page. So what is wrong with the site deeper within? Most people land on a brand page or a model range as this is where adwords usually directs them

I now have most of the site set to filtering as default view to see if this would make any difference as I see quite a lot of shops including my competitors do it this way. The Sellerdeck filtering seems to work quicker and smother than other filters.

Before I did this I you would click into brand then model range then type of pen then finish of pen. Lots of clicks!

Comment

Working...
                    X