Best Upgrade Path?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Upgrade Path?

I have decided to upgrade my heavily customised V11 site to a responsive design in V13 and I'm wondering what the best upgrade path is.

(Side note to Sellerdeck - Using years instead of version numbers seems pretty daft to me as:

a) it makes it sound out of date already. A problem the magazine publishers have known about for decades which is why 'April' editions always come out in March.
    b) I can't refer to it as 2014 as it makes it sound as if I'm talking about the year rather than the version
    c) Does it really sound better to say "we've brought out this years edition of the software" rather than "we've brought out an all new version of the sofware". After all Windows moved away from a brief spell of using years for Windows 95, 98, 2000.

mini rant over, back to trying to upgrade an existing site to an all new layout.)

Importing the site snapshot into V13 brings in the site and upgrades it but none of the layouts get updated. The layout selector tells me I'm using a new layout but I'm not and the design tab still shows the old layout name in the layout editor. Also trying to 'revert all layouts to default' doesn't fix it. Something about layouts not being updated due to being system layouts.

Creating a hierarchical export of the upgraded site and importing that into a new site doesn't work. I've tried a few times without any success.

What I have found seems to work is to create a design snapshot from a new site and to then import the design snapshot into the upgraded V11 site. This looks as if it works but I thought I'd ask if this is the best way to do it or there's another way I'm missing?
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Originally posted by Mike Hughes View Post
    Importing the site snapshot into V13 brings in the site and upgrades it but none of the layouts get updated. The layout selector tells me I'm using a new layout but I'm not and the design tab still shows the old layout name in the layout editor. Also trying to 'revert all layouts to default' doesn't fix it. Something about layouts not being updated due to being system layouts.

Creating a hierarchical export of the upgraded site and importing that into a new site doesn't work. I've tried a few times without any success.

What I have found seems to work is to create a design snapshot from a new site and to then import the design snapshot into the upgraded V11 site. This looks as if it works but I thought I'd ask if this is the best way to do it or there's another way I'm missing?
    I've had exactly the same issues Mike.

When you say import a design snapshot from a new site into an upgraded v11, do you mean license a new site in v13, create a design snapshot, upgrade the V11 site, then import the design snapshot into that? Or create the design snapshot in v11?
    Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

license a new site in v13, create a design snapshot, upgrade the V11 site, then import the design snapshot into that?
      Yes. This one.

i.e. In detail.

- License a new site in V13.
      - Choose the responsive theme you prefer. I used 'Classic'.
      - Do 'Design>Export Design Snapshot' of this.
      - Then import the V11 snapshot into V13.
      - Then do 'File>Snapshot>Import design' of the design snapshot.

Mike

PS. I do still have a few section descriptions that have held onto the old layouts but I can't see which layout is affecting this. I'm still looking into it.

OK. The above isn't a problem. It was just that some of the sections had a section description with some embedded HTML and others didn't. All looks good so far.

Comment

Hi Mike

Thanks for that. I've had another go but now error is Section can't be generated and to revert StandardLayout to default. It already is grr.

Time to deploy some design funds!
        Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hughes View Post
          I'm glad you mention this... I tried back in v6 (or v8, before v10 anyway) and it didn't work and was thinking of doing this to have a clean design from scratch... I can't believe it still has problems...

Comment

I've had another go but now error is Section can't be generated and to revert StandardLayout to default. It already is grr.
            I've tried the whole thing again just to make sure I've got it right and it seems to work for me. I guess I just got lucky.

Comment

Working...
            X