Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fragments not showing properly in responsive theme .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fragments not showing properly in responsive theme .

Ever wish you'd never started something?

I've just 'updated' my site www.partsandpumps.co.uk to a responsive theme .. good grief what a game.

what was a clean, simple, easy to read site is now visually horrendous .. (in my opinion anyway). Everything is massive and uses ten times the screen real estate as it did before.

So product long descriptions vanished .. managed to figure that one out .. but one thing I am stuck on is that I was using fragments to show various dimensions, graphs and data .. these are now invisible !?

example here

Any suggestions welcome .. this is going to take a while to get right. At the moment, I really don't like it.

A couple of points:

1) How were the fragments content dimensions / graphs / data entered into the software? There is nothing generated in the code. If you had a variable or HTML in a fragment layout that was being used to import the data then that may have been replaced by the upgrade which applied new responsive layouts, so you need to check the method you were using and that any custom code is added in the upgraded layouts.

2) I'd recommend some usability changes:
    - There are no images on the home page it looks more like a brochure page than a shop.
    - The colour scheme could be improved, the light grey text headings in the central area are difficult to read, as are the white text on light grey headings and the Add To Cart buttons which are almost invisible to read, on the view cart page the five buttons are grey text on grey background so all the buttons and checkout button in the central area are all invisible.
    Peblaco

Comment

Originally posted by peblaco View Post
      A couple of points:

1) How were the fragments content dimensions / graphs / data entered into the software? There is nothing generated in the code. If you had a variable or HTML in a fragment layout that was being used to import the data then that may have been replaced by the upgrade which applied new responsive layouts, so you need to check the method you were using and that any custom code is added in the upgraded layouts.

2) I'd recommend some usability changes:
      - There are no images on the home page it looks more like a brochure page than a shop.
      - The colour scheme could be improved, the light grey text headings in the central area are difficult to read, as are the white text on light grey headings and the Add To Cart buttons which are almost invisible to read, on the view cart page the five buttons are grey text on grey background so all the buttons and checkout button in the central area are all invisible.
      Thanks for the pointers... the home page USED to have images, but these were in the fragments and this theme seems to ignore images added within the fragment details > general tab ... I've managed to sort out something (maybe temporarily) in the view cart page .. so at least that is operational again (!)

I still have some hair left .. but that may be a different story by tomorrow !

Comment

wot ? no images in fragments ? .. nope ..

In DESIGN the general tab for fragment details there is a field marked 'image:'

in my www.partsandpumps.co.uk website, these images are not visible any longer (maybe mistakenly I switched to a responsive layout.

In the Layout tab; Fragment layout (responsive) .. "Subheading And Text Left of Image")

why can't I see the images any more? .. anyone have any ideas / clues ?

David

Comment

There have been issues in the fragments area when upgrading. It could be an upgrade issue or something else but it would be difficult to say without seeing the site and trying to make guesses. If you send a snapshot to SellerDeck support or a designer someone will probably be able to tell what the problem is quickly.
          Peblaco

Comment

thanks

thanks, sounds like a plan .. site is getting better, but it's a way off yet !

David

Comment

Originally posted by davidfarndon View Post
              Ever wish you'd never started something?

what was a clean, simple, easy to read site is now visually horrendous .. (in my opinion anyway). Everything is massive and uses ten times the screen real estate as it did before.
              I thought just the same about my responsive site, but now I've been working on it for a couple of weeks everything on my "old" site seems ridiculously small and crowded.

Maybe less is more? Hope my customers agree when it goes live...

John
              John Ennals
              www.tortoys.co.uk

Comment

I have also been struggling with fragments is v14 - already post a query on this, but unfortunately the helpful reply I got did not work for me.

Basically in a pretty much out of the box design, how do you get a fragment carousel to go full-width if your column count is not set to 1 ? Setting the column count for sections or products to 2 or 3 means you get small carousels, not full width. This is surely a bug.

Any help helpful.

Comment

It may not be much help, but I had a problem with the fragments not showing at all, but found that I needed to go the fragment, click Layouts and change the layout to subheading and text left of image, and miraculously the fragment became visible.

My general advice on upgrading to responsive, having tried various ways, is as follows, which can be done if you have multi-site:

Create new site and give it a name that includes the word Design. Edit the design of this new virgin site - changing colour scheme to match your previous, changing logo, favicon, etc. Edit the colour scheme to suit. When happy, export this design (Design: Export Design Snapshot), giving it a name that includes Design. Then create another new site, giving it a name such as RDMyWebsiteName. Export snapshot of current SD 2014 site (upgraded site but not changed to responsive layout). Import this snapshot into your site just created. Then import into it your design snapshot, selecting the Replace option. Now work on this if and where necessary. In my case I had to re-select the brand names in the Properties of each product.

Sarah

Comment

I found the images on my fragments were all very small. If I changed the default maximum width on product images they got larger.

Another unrelated snippet about the responsive design is that the template can only have a maximum of tree columns for sections. If you type more it defaults to 1 column. You can have more if you design it yourself apparently.

Comment

I also struggled with fragments and decided to throw the towel in on them and made my own variables to to replicate them, and in my choice of top, or bottom of screen.

I do still use the inbuilt fragments on the home screen so that I can use the carousel, but made another variable so that I can choose if fragments sit at the top or bottom of the layout. So I have the carousel at the top, and my review fragment at the bottom.
                      Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
                      Zirconium Rings
                      Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

Working...
                      X