Copying site 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copying site 1

I will be attempting to make a responsive design using the Actinic templates.

As I'm going to be amalgamating sections etc and the fact my site isn't too large I will probably find it easier doing it product by product from scratch.

Question is how do I get my images from Site 1 on 13 to my new Site 1 on 14 so I can start building while still having a functioning 13?

Is it as simple as just copying the whole folder? I don't really want a whole load of images saying 'copy of'.

Or is there an easier way to move the site without causing errors ( slightly customised with regard to colours, side bar, product boxes etc.)

It it's going to cause errors which need removing I'm not savvy enough to do this so would be as well doing it from scratch.
    Scottish Gifts 4U - quality gifts from Scotland

Why don't you try importing your Sellerdeck 2013 site into 2014 and then start working from there. At least that will import all your products and images and give you a good head start.

If you discover too many problem then you can always start again from scratch but it makes a lot of sense to me to try an upgrade first.
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

I have tried both methods.

I started by upgrading my sites from 2013 to 2014, not making them responsive design, after making snapsots, as Mike recommended. This only took minutes. I had actually done this several weeks earlier and it was problem free.

Then I started with my smallest and least visited site, which does not have many products. I created a new site, virgin site being responsive design, and worked on the design, copying manually the colour scheme, logo, etc from the live site. Adjusted the colours to suit. Like you, as I did not have many products, I copy and pasted them from the live site. However, I then had to redo a lot of things, such as the Terms & Conditions, brochure pages etc a lot of copying, and a lot of changes that I initially overlooked. In retrospect it may have been better to export the design (Design, Export Design Snapshot). Create a new site, import snapshot of live site, import the design, using Replace, and then work on that.

That is what I did for my second site. I exported a design snapshot of the smaller site, and then edited the colour scheme and logo and exported it. Then created new site, brought in latest live snapshot, brought in design using Replace, worked on it

It was much quicker with much less work following this route rather than the one I did with the first smaller site, though there were some problems, all solved.

In total I converted 3 sites to responsive design. Even though it was stressful at the time, I had done all in quick time, with the help of this forum and one call to Sellerdeck.

IMPORTANT- make sure that you snapshot very frequently, before any change, and good idea to add a word to the snapshot file name, such as Design, to help identify it.

Sarah

Comment

I agree with Sarah. I am just finishing converting my site and about to upload. It has not been fun, I was going to start from scratch but it was all the delivery details, payment details etc that I would have to enter as well that decided me against it. That was all working fine under the old site.

I went from 2013 to 2014 first and made sure everything still worked. Even without changing the design to responsive some things did not come out correctly. Then I imported a basic responsive design and started cleaning up and working through the manly little problems - text the wrong size, images the wrong size etc..

At the moment I am in test mode and nearly there..

Comment

Working...
        X