SD using legacy layouts after design import

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SD using legacy layouts after design import

Has anyone else experienced this? I have had it twice with different sites when doing things in this sequence:

1. Client sends early version site. I bring it into v14 doing SPP along the way and do a v14 snapshot.
    2. I import my modified SD wireframe design into the upgraded site. I choose 'Update' not 'Replace' as often client has bits of design layouts and elements that are needed to keep the look of the site either as is or modified to responsive. It is easier to have them accessible in the library. They are not referenced in any selector or setting.
    3. Make the wireframe look like the clients existing site.
    4. Meanwhile client has done work on their original site but now wants to do the switch. They are happy with your new site and design site X.
    5. Clients send another early version and the upgrade and SPP is repeated. A design snapshot is taken from Site X and imported into the latest client site.
    This time the new site has fragment, brochure, stylesheet and other layouts being used that are lagacy laypouts from the old site even though none of these are referenced in selectors or settings.
    For example, fragment will say PromoCarousel Layout, design view will say Act_Text etc whatever. Act_Text etc whatever.does not appear as a choice in the Fragment or Fragment RWD selectors. And the same for brochure layouts and more. The overall look is OK.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
    Jonathan Chappell
    Website Designer
    SellerDeck Website Designer
    Actinic to SellerDeck upgrades
    Graphicz Limited - www.graphicz.co.uk

I've not seen that issue but then I've not applied an update using that method. It reads as if it might be a design snapshot problem or corruption of the database, have you had SellerDeck Support look at it?.
    Peblaco

Comment

I had some problems of importing a responsive design snapshot into a non-responsive 2014 site. I found most problems solved by importing first as Update and then doing it again as Replace. If I just did Update, the design was messed up. If I just did Replace, all the inner layout was missing (the fragments etc did not show).

I found that filters had to re-applied in products.

Sarah

Comment

Thanks Louise and Sarah

Support have already elevated it to development.

That's a great tip Sarah. I have issues just switching upgraded non responsive site to responsive using 'Themes' and then having to deselect and reselect the ticks in Place of Setting to get the new layouts to display. I am pretty sure there is some sort of bug as one of the key principles of SD is export and import of designs which we have all done for many versions (v6 in my case) but which now is letting us and our clients down!
        Jonathan Chappell
        Website Designer

Comment

Have also noticed that applying a basic theme doesn't work fully, with site options and list layout settings left with old settings which need to be manually changed.
          Peblaco

Comment

Yes Louise, that's what I mean about unticking and re-ticking the place of setting in the selectors, that seems to do it.
            Jonathan Chappell
            Website Designer

Comment

I have only done my own site but I started by making a design and importing this as a snapshot over my existing site and using "update" and the result was a mess. I then reimported the design and chose "replace" and a lot of things worked out better. So can basically confirm what others have said here.

Comment

Originally posted by peblaco View Post
                Have also noticed that applying a basic theme doesn't work fully, with site options and list layout settings left with old settings which need to be manually changed.
                I stopped using the themes to switch as it never seemed to work correctly. I have snapshots of each of the two sellerdeck themes which I import over an upgraded site in V14, I tend to use the update switch. Generally this removes the old layouts and in doing so it sets a lot of layouts back to a default setting if the old layout no longer exists. This can cause some odd looking layouts that need the setting updating to get it sorted.

It seems a bit odd that you can generate a V14 responsive theme and then apply it to a new version ot the old site that has been upgraded to V14 as this is essentially what is done in th first place to get the new V14 theme. I have an upgrade going forward in a week or so which will need this specific set of operations so I will keep an eye on the operation.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
                SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
                Custom Packages

Comment

Working...
                X