Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bandwidth

Hi
    I'm trying to reduce my bandwidth usage on my website Any ideas on how my site can be improved please?

Thanks Jo
    Thank you
    Kind regards
    Joanne

www.ukcurtainpoles.co.uk

Hello Jo

Why on earth would you want to reduce bandwidth? - Ideally, you'd want as much as you can get

I assume you have access to your host server account where you can reduce the bandwidth yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Joanne123 View Post
      Hi
      I'm trying to reduce my bandwidth usage on my website Any ideas on how my site can be improved please?

Thanks Jo
      Hi
      looking at the page http://www.ukcurtainpoles.co.uk/acat...-Poles-p1.html there are some huge files, not suprisingly down to the number of products on this page.

The html code alone is 1Mb, an ajax return file of product data of over 1.2Mb, and your logo is 500Kb in size, with 1300 products on that page each with a 100K image you require a huge bandwidth. I would suggest cutting down on the number of products in a section by using more sub sections to group the products. This would in turn have other effects on the operation of the site but if you want to cut bandwidth and at the same time improve loading speeds then that is the way to go.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
      SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
      Custom Packages

Comment

As Malcolm says, those 1300 images at around 80 KBytes each are over 100 MBytes in images on that page alone.

It looks to me as if none of your images have any kind of compression. If I try and export one of your 80 KB images it says it will be 52 KB with just 1% compression. Allowing 20% compression (and I couldn't see any difference from the original even when viewed at 3x scale) reduces that down to 16 KB saving something like 80% of the bandwidth usage.

Also your logo, as a simple graphic, should be saved as a gif file bringing it down to under 10 KBytes from over 600 KBytes.

There are graphics programs that will batch process a set of images so if you take a look at some sample images and decide how much compression you think is acceptable then you can resize all your images with very little effort.
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Thanks guys

Really helpful as usual

I will look at reducing my image sizes first then go from there as regards marketing lists and maybe re arranging sections.

Do you know if I am able to compress images using Photoshop? If not, is there a free, easy to use program that anyone can recommend?

Many thanks
          Thank you
          Kind regards
          Joanne

www.ukcurtainpoles.co.uk

Comment

You can compress images by just by opening and saving an image file using any image manipulation software. When you save a .jpeg for example, just select a lower compression level that doesn't make the image look significantly lower quality. There's also plenty of online tools for lossy (loss of quality and lower file size) or lossless (lower file size without loss of quality)

An online tool which works quite well is https://compressor.io/

You do have a lot of products on that page, so it's always going to take some time to load them, but if you compress them enough it should make it easier.

Photoshop can be used to compress images. Another free alternative is gimp (bad name, but great software).

Comment

FreeStone Photo Resizer is good too.

Comment

Yes, you can compress your images using Photoshop and you can also set it to do this in batch mode to do them all at the same time.

I don't use Photoshop but I think it's the 'Save for web' feature you want to use.

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hughes View Post
                  Yes, you can compress your images using Photoshop and you can also set it to do this in batch mode to do them all at the same time.

I don't use Photoshop but I think it's the 'Save for web' feature you want to use.
                  I have already saved my images in Photoshop using the Save to web option and apparently my images are still too large.

I have had a gander on the web and there seems to be many of these compression programs about that will hopefully reduce the file sizes.

Thanks for all the suggestions
                  Thank you
                  Kind regards
                  Joanne

www.ukcurtainpoles.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X