Pasting webcode from Dreamweaver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pasting webcode from Dreamweaver

I have been trying to make up the text for various products in Dreamweaver (I have CC 2014 installed, could use earlier or later). When I do this some characters do not paste correctly. I get L for £ signs and mysterious characters turning up.

If I paste the code to notepad first and then into Sellerdeck I do not have this problem.

Searching the forum and asking support I found information which says I need to change the formatting of characters in Dreamweaver to iso-8859-1 from Dreamweaver's default of 'UTF-8'. In the place where Dreamweaver lists this I do not have the option of ISO 8859. I have other ISO options and they did not work.

I do not have the Dreamweaver sellerdeck extensions installed because Dreamweaver was added after Sellerdeck and I do not want to re-install Sellerdeck 2014 as I have been trying 2016 as well and have install hassles.

I am not designing the basic pages in Dreamweaver, just writing product text which I then paste into the product field between !!< and >!!.

I must be missing something simple. Anyone any suggestions?

You could try using a clipboard extension like Ditto that can be set to paste as plain text.
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by David Clarke View Post
      I have been trying to make up the text for various products in Dreamweaver (I have CC 2014 installed, could use earlier or later). When I do this some characters do not paste correctly. I get L for £ signs and mysterious characters turning up.

I must be missing something simple. Anyone any suggestions?
      Try using &pound; instead, that should display correctly. Pasting it through notepad is changing it to plain text.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
      SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
      Custom Packages

Comment

It is not just pound signs. I get other odd characters all over the place. Pasting through notepad sorts it out. I have been using Frontpage which never causes a problem either but that is very old.

Comment

Originally posted by David Clarke View Post
          It is not just pound signs. I get other odd characters all over the place. Pasting through notepad sorts it out. I have been using Frontpage which never causes a problem either but that is very old.
          Take a look for HTML Entities on google you can find a list of all entries that will display correctly indstead of using keyboard characters, it might cover everything you want.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
          SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
          Custom Packages

Comment

Have you tried switching to code view before you paste the text?

Regards,
            Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
            Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
            A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
            Product Mash for Sellerdeck
            Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
            Multichannel order processing
            Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

I work in split view and take the code from the code view and paste it into fragments or product descriptions between !!< and >!!.

Pasting from design view looses all formatting.

As an example this code:

<P><strong>2TB RAID rated drives</strong><BR>
              In our last newsletter we mentioned 8 RAID-rated drives which we were selling at a low price. We have 5 of these drives left. They are Seagate Enterprise class 2TB RAID hard drives, rated for use as RAID drives (which means they are better tested than normal drives and are designed to work 24/7). Normally we would sell these at <strong>£120+VAT</strong> each but we are selling all 5 at <strong>£89+VAT </strong>each.</P>

Becomes this code when pasted into the text box:

<P><strong>2TB RAID rated drives</strong><BR>
              In our last newsletter we mentioned 8 RAID-rated drives which we were selling at a low price. We have 5 of these drives left. They are Seagate Enterprise class 2TB RAID hard drives, rated for use as RAID drives (which means they are better tested than normal drives and are designed to work 24/7). Normally we would sell these at <strong>£120+VAT</strong> each but we are selling all 5 at <strong>£89+VAT </strong>each.</P>

You can see the extra Âs. It is not just  s other things appear as well. These are the only examples I can find currently.

Comment

I finally found the problem. I knew it was a pretty simple thing I was doing wrong. In Dreamweaver go to preferences and New document. Change the default encoding to "Western European". That solved it.

Posting here in case anyone else has the problem and searches the forum.

Comment

Working...
                X