SKU for clothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SKU for clothing

At present we do not use SKU's for reference numbers just a basic reference number that corresponds to suppliers marketing code

For our clothing we have one product with attributes for both size and colour options

Looking to the future and epos / bar code readers etc. we would like to be able to use separate SKU's for each product, size and colour options

I assume i am correct that this would mean separate products for every combination hense a massive database and very slow performance
    Chris Ashdown

Hi Chris, in 2016 they have added the option for both a separate stock level AND barcode/SKU for each permutation within a component.
    This could mean that you'd still only have one product in the database, potentially representing multiple SKU's, each with their own stock level.
    http://sellerdeck.co.uk/index.php/ec...erdeck-desktop

[Edit: Help files indicate this feature is EPOS related]

.Barcode/SKU
    Stores the barcode or SKU for the Permutation.
    If the main product (the product that this component is within) has 'Share with SellerDeck EPOS' selected, you have the option to transfer each permutation to SellerDeck EPOS as a unique 'Barcode Record'.
    To do this, enter a barcode within the permutation rows of the permutations you would like to transfer to SellerDeck EPOS.
    More details about linking are in Transferring Products to SellerDeck EPOS.
    Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
    Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
    SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

I assume i am correct that this would mean separate products for every combination hense a massive database and very slow performance
      How many SKUs are you thinking of?

I'm not sure the same concerns over database size still apply as much as they did 3-5 years ago. Sellerdeck code has become a lot more efficient and processor speed and low memory costs have made things much better on the server side as well as the desktop.
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Hi Mike

Trouble is i have most items that come in about 4-6 colour ranges and maybe 10 sizes and the largest sweatshirts make comes in 50 colour's and six sizes
        http://www.internet-workwear.co.uk/a...irt-AQ010.html

So it would be quite a large increase in the file size

But not sure it would work anyway as using components we could not display each colour and using attributes i don't think we can get the sku 's in unless we redo everything as products which would make a messy display
        Chris Ashdown

Comment

Hi Chris,

I suspect that database wise you'd be OK with what you want to do.

It looks like you have probably less than 1,000 product in something like 50 variants and some people on the forum were doing that 7-8 years ago.

How you display these could be an issue but I'm not really sure of the issues there. The way you do it now with colour and size being selected separately does seem to be the way to go.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Hi Chris

If you're not ready to go to SD2016 as per Fergus's post, we do have a plug-in that can do all the product and permutation generation for you at a stroke (see link below for an illustration and some background).

http://www.codepath.co.uk/software/h...t-builder.html

If it's any help, I concur with the others who suggest that later versions of Sellerdeck do not suffer as much from larger file sizes and I know this plug-in has been used on other clothing sites to good effect. I'd be happy to let you have it on trial to see if file size was a problem after conversion.

As for how you'd display that product structure to your satisfaction, you'd have to experiment.

Regards
            Andy
            Andy Barrow
            http://www.codepath.biz
            T: 0161 870 6355

Accredited Sellerdeck development partners since 2004.
            Data import / export and catalog management plug-ins.

Comment

Thanks for the offer Andy
              I would need to be able to use each manufacturers full SKU and we have over a dozen makers and they all have different methods of defining the sku relating to some colour size combination

That would mean i would have to manually change every combination which is a lot of work making ite really a non runner
              Chris Ashdown

Comment

Originally posted by chris ashdown View Post
                Thanks for the offer Andy
                I would need to be able to use each manufacturers full SKU and we have over a dozen makers and they all have different methods of defining the sku relating to some colour size combination

That would mean i would have to manually change every combination which is a lot of work making ite really a non runner
                Understood, Chris.
                Andy Barrow
                http://www.codepath.biz
                T: 0161 870 6355

Accredited Sellerdeck development partners since 2004.
                Data import / export and catalog management plug-ins.

Comment

Working...
                X