Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shipping By Postcode Extension ? Anyone used it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping By Postcode Extension ? Anyone used it ?

I have just purchased the "Shipping By Postcode Extension". OMG. Has anyone on here actually used it successfully ?

I tried it, spent ages populating postcodes, kept reverting post option online to the highest, so reverted back, now left me with an error whenever I look in the postage tab of an order.. it wipes out the location. worst thing I ever did.
    Many Thanks
    Lee
    www.mdnsupplies.co.uk
    www.hookandloopfasteners.co.uk

Comment

Tried once as a quick test on a test site but did not work... haven't tried again as the trial period is over...

Feels clunky and quite frankly, with the amount of bugs in the main platform, I don't really trust it will work 100%... everything seems to be "almost there but"...

And the cost of it is too much
      - Josh did make an offer but when the offer ends, that's when Sellerdeck's prices hurt...

I guess it can be stopped, unlike this situation we're having:

We have Sellerdeck 365, 18 month contract, but SSL is 12 months... SSL initially was at a discount = great... but with 6 months left on SD365, we had to renew... @ £260+VAT per site, @ no discount.
      - I checked with Geotrust, SD's SSL is the cheapest option = QuickSSL Premium, which they sell (retail) at £99.00+VAT (https://www.geotrust.com/uk/ssl/)
      - we came from 1and1 and the same GeoTrust product (QuickSSL), currently = £23.99+VAT per YEAR

I appealled, but the response was the high cost is due to admin overheads... really
      - for those of us who have setup a SSL cert on a server knows exactly how much work is involved
      - SD Hosting, our IP is hosted by Pulsant... maybe all the cash has gone to them...

I'm not sure why they would not improve on price, as they know that gives us the reason to leave SD365+SSL

Back to shipping...
      We're just using shipping by regions (counties) - so it's much better but annoying sometimes, eg when you enter an offline order, I have staff here who overlook selecting the County and then the order defaults to NIL VAT for the UK - only way to fix this to edit the data in the db... (orderdetail table)

Comment

Very interesting. I am on my second attempt with Shipping By Postcode and cannot get it to work either. Support has been on it for 2 weeks now. They do not call, or ask questions, or do any remote support. It is all messages back and forth via the help desk. Like watching paint dry.
        When I have a technical issue with other suppliers - for instance Teclan or GFS - they book an appointment and then an actual expert does a remote link to control my computer and view the software issue directly. Not Sellerdeck. Oh no. Poor. And very frustrating.

Comment

When the to/fro is too much, they called me... and we had a remote session, and I managed to "show" them the problem... once seen, she knew what was wrong and got off the call.
          but, weeks later, she forgot what the problem was... but I showed you... *sigh*

With a monthly charge, I expected this extension should be prioritised to be working 100%...

It's a nice feature to have, but I just don't have time to set it up
          - it would be nice to have the tables somehow pre-populated

However...
          I've seen other solutions offering "live" shipping option = wow = no more updating of shipping tables, at all!

Comment

The naysayers will say it is not possible for sellerdeck to pre-populate because everyones shipping requirements are different, but I say it is totally possible because "highlands" and "islands" are known locations with known postcode regions. It would have been so much better to for us users to have these regions pre populated, and then for us to make fine adjustments. At least then the bloody thing would stand more chance of working out of the box.!

Comment

I know... They already pre-populate the countries... just add the regions and this extension in a trial form in the demo site... surely it's good for their (Sellerdeck) business...

Comment

Unfortunately, the configuration of regions by postcode is not the same for all carriers. And when they change something, unless you are a user of that particular carrier, it's very difficult to get a notification of it. In the past, we did try to provide shipping import files for some of the most common carriers, but they proved impossible for us to maintain.

In any case, many site owners simplify the shipping setup in their own way, because the exact carrier configurations can be a bit bewildering for customers. There really isn't anything approaching a standard configuration that we could provide out of the box.
                Bruce Townsend
                Ecommerce Product Manager
                Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

I agree with you, each carrier has their own groups of postcodes for their regions.

Over the years, I have found that the only way is the longest way... so I had to create each county...
                  - I used to group, but separating to each county is easier for us
                  - I even separate as much as possible the intl countries... hence our shipping db is massive.

"Live" shipping... data pulled off directly from the shipper's... add to Sellerdeck wish list?
                  - lets spend less time setting these up and more time trying to sell...

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, I've added it to our wish list. We're certainly aware that shipping is a tricky and complex area.
                    Bruce Townsend

Comment

Anyone know how to uninstall it please? keep getting message about trial ended and am not carrying on with it.

Many Thanks
                      Many Thanks
                      Lee
                      www.mdnsupplies.co.uk
                      www.hookandloopfasteners.co.uk

Comment

Hi Lee. Extensions are installed as Windows applications, you can uninstall it from the Windows control panel
                        Bruce Townsend

Comment

Finally got something resembling a working Shipping By Postcode - only taken over a year.
                          On the checkout we now have "county" field showing the postcode regions. Looks odd. I am being told by support that is is normal for the "county" field to display on the order page (looks confusing to me, would have thought it was for system extension use only).
                          Also when an order is received, this "county" field is now populated with "MAINLAND" for a normal uk order.
                          And what is worse, this field cannot be edited in the order. I do not want this! Surely this cannot be by design ?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X