Problems running sellerdeck 2016 in test mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems running sellerdeck 2016 in test mode

This is not a question since I have solved the problem, but may help someone else.

Basically I have sellerdeck 2014 with Sellerdeck cover so I can install 2016 if I want to. So I installed 2016 and used it only in test mode.

In the process I ended up with two problems with the live (2014) webshop:

1) People would order on the 2014 site and the orders would not show up in my Sellerdeck software; it would take the money and send them and email confirmation but Sellerdeck 2014 would not download any orders. The orders would show up in 2016.1 which was running in TEST MODE. The solution was to do a complete website refresh using 2014.

2) Putting up the 2016 site in test mode messed up all my digital downloads and they had to be uploaded again using 2014.

The problem I was trying to check could only be seen when the website was on-line so I had to run 2016 in test mode to see if it was fixed. Basically there was a bug in 2016.0 with dynamic prices which is fixed in 2016.1 but I wanted to test it. When I first discovered the bug I was told I could run 2014 in production mode and 2016 in test mode on the same machine to let me iron out problems with 2016 before going live.

I am still sticking with 2014 for now. I have just wasted a few hours solving the above and I have not yet solved all the design changes that Sellerdeck 2016 decided to make when I imported my 2014 site into it. Frankly I am wondering whether all the hassle is worth it.

This sounds like the kind of problem that would only show up if you weren't running the test site and it's perl scripts in their own sub-directory. As long as you do that there's no way I can think of the two sites interacting.
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I installed 2016.1, switched to test mode and uploaded the site, which was what I did when I tried 2016. It was in its own directory and I just let it do what it wanted.

Comment

Weird.

Sellerdeck should put the site in a 'test' subdirectory and use a different number for the perl scripts to avoid interaction. http://community.sellerdeck.com/showthread.php?t=45500

It sounds as if live orders were using the test scripts which they shouldn't have been. If this is a one-off then it's weird. If anyone else sees the same problem there could be a bug.

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Only way I could think of such interaction would be if the 2014 site was also in Test Mode and had identical network settings.

Also make sure you haven't any hard-code links that would take you from the Test Mode site to the older one.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I don't know whether it is a one off for me or whether 2016.1 does not install properly. However I did solve it by just doing a website refresh in 2014 after I found the problem.

I was posting above in case it helped anyone else.

The procedure would be

(
            1. Install2016 (after doing a back up for 2014 just in case)
            2. Put 2016 in test mode and upload the site.
            3. Then refresh the website in 2014.
            4. Then check ordering is still working properly.
            5. Also check all digital downloads are still working.

Comment

Working...
            X