Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping Domain Names

Hi,

I have had a website with SellerDeck since 2010. I have now acquired another business, which has its own domain name.

I want to switch my site over to the new url / domain name. I can't remember if SellerDeck (Actinic) set it up originally, or if it gets configured when I fill in the details in the network section of SellerDeck 2016.

I cant find any information on setting up SellerDeck hosting parameters in the Parallels Desk.

I have logged in to the Parallels Desk and can see the various setting relating to my current domain and I guess I could change them to reflect the new domain. But it would be nice to have a user guide.

I realise I need to also change the A file for the DNS on the site where the domain was purchased. I assume that points anyone searching for my url to its current hosting?

TIA

D

Hi Derwent,

If you want Sellerdeck to load the site onto the new domain then all you need to do is change the domain name in the network settings and do a site refresh (assuming the rest of the web host / network settings are the same - there are some things like your password, email smtp server, etc that are likely to be different).

Changing domain names for a site is an unusual step as you'll lose all the links, customer bookmarks, search engine rankings, etc for the old site so at the very least I'd keep the old domain running so anyone going to it can be told how to get to the new one. Preferably, I'd run both in parallel for a while and run a 3-6 month campaign to move customer across to the new site, but you would need a multi-site version of sellerdeck to do that.

How you set up the dns servers and hosting platform will depend on what you're planning to do with the old domain name. Dropping it completely sounds a bit drastic to me.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your advice. Not too bad to upload the change then.

I will just park the old site back on the free hosting offered on the domain name sellers site. I can forward people from there or I guess I could put a 301 redirect on.

Coincidentally and conveniently both sites were purchased from the same registrar, so I can easily compare their A files and zone files.

Thanks again.

D.

Comment

Working...
      X