FTP Error Occurred

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTP Error Occurred

1and1 had a problem this morning with ssl certificates. Our customers were getting an error message when clicking Checkout or Login, both of which are covered by ssl certificates, all up to date. 1and1 appear to have corrected the problem. However, I now cannot publish the website again, which I need to do to correct stock and change some despatch dates, but get an error "FTP error Occurred . . . Opening connection to xyz.co.uk on port 21. Connection rejected". Nothing at all changed in SD, and 1and1 just corrected the ssl problem. Any ideas to sort problem? Or do I just have a wait a few hours to see if it fixes itself?

Sara

The port 21 warning is what you get when the ftp is locked, does 1&1 have a lock/unlock?
    Also https://www.whynopadlock.com/ is a useful tool.
    Jonathan Chappell
    Website Designer
    SellerDeck Website Designer
    Actinic to SellerDeck upgrades
    Graphicz Limited - www.graphicz.co.uk

Comment

Hello Jonathan. I have checked with 1&1 and they have tried for some time to find out what is wrong. They say that everything is fine at their end. Things have got worse at my end as now the orders will not download as it says I have to upload first. Stuck.

Comment

Can you connect using FTP and those credentials using an FTP client like FileZilla?
        Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
        SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
        Based in rural Northants

Comment

Did you get this sorted? I have spent hours on the phone to 1and1 due to similar problems.
          Kind Regards
          Karen

Charmed Cards & Crafts

Comment

1and1's solution to the problem was not to use Sellerdeck!! They tested my settings on other ftp clients and they worked. The problem, as usual, is that 1&1 support a different secure ftp to Sellerdeck, and they are not compatible with each other. I had been getting away with it until yesterday, when 1&1 must have done something to stop it working, though they insist that they didn't. I had already moved several sites away from 1&1 to Host-It over the last few years, for the same problem. So last night I set this into motion with this site. This means that at the moment nobody can add to cart on my website and I cannot upload without errors. Presumably I have to wait for it to propagate. Getting angry emails and telephone calls. I have also had to purchase another ssl certificate and wait for it to apply. I will at some point have to go through this all again for the remaining sites that I have on 1&1. I have lost 2 pounds in weight overnight, and rather more in money.
            Sarah

Comment

I have a test site on 1and1 and uploading the demo site is ok for me.
              - I haven't used 1and1 for a long time, but when I recently set this up, I noticed their "server host" was a little different
              (but we used to use dedicated servers, the test one is on a shared)

Attached my settings - I did not use the Secure option...
              - when I tried, I got a message and it reverted to unticked in the settings.
              Attached Files

Comment

Oh yikes Sarah! I hope I wont have to change host.

Zgap I don't have the option to untick secure FTP in my network settings, don't have that field. I am using 14.02. Please see attached.
                Attached Files
                Kind Regards
                Karen

Charmed Cards & Crafts

Comment

Hi folks, I’’m away on holiday this week so can’’t investigate what’’s happening but there are a couple of things I can add to the topic.

1. Sellerdeck have only just added FTP secure in V18 and this doesn’t work with 1and1 which uses SFTP for this (they’’’re different protocols which are incompatible)

2. Normal FTP should work as it always has before V18 and up to yesterday with V18 so it sounds like 1and1 has possibly done something that breaks FTP and also SSL. Hopefully this will be fixed once they get a proper grip on it.

3. Sarah, I don’t think 1and1 has fixed your SSL problem. Just removed it from your site.

4. Sarah, if you’’re moving hosting but can’t get the orders into sellerdeck then you could try using a separate ftp program and downloading the .ord order files onto your PC (you might to change their permissions to do this as they are usually locked down). Later on when you’ve got sellerdeck up and running on the new host you should be able to ftp the order files onto the server and then download them into sellerdeck,

5. Karen, SFTP (or rather FTPS ) was only introduced in V18 so earlier versions don’t have the option to untick the secure bit as they work that way by default.

Mike

I don’t know it’s the forum or the password manager app I’m using but I can’t get apostrophes to show so apologies for the typos.
                  -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Hi Karen

Secure FTP is a new feature in v18 (this post is in the v18 and I mentioned it as there was a thing with v18 and 1and1...)

From your screenshot, I assume the "Server Host" = www.charmedcardsandcrafts.co.uk

I tried to ftp to it, but failed (see screenshot)

If "www.charmedcardsandcrafts.co.uk is correct,
                    then double check your "Server Host" in 1and1's control panel - see screenshot for where I used ours.
                    and contact 1and1 if it has not changed as it would definitely be and 1and1 problem.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have fixed the upload problem now, with the help of a very helpful 1and1 technician (yes really). I just had to change the server host to the one in the support panel - you are quite right zgap. Odd that it was fine until yesterday morning though, but hurrah that it's OKnow. . Thanks as always Mike and zgap Hope you get everything sorted your end Mike.

Didn't even notice I was in the V18 forum
                      Kind Regards
                      Karen

Charmed Cards & Crafts

Comment

Mike is the best. Even on holiday

Comment

Further to my posting yesterday about moving from 1&1 to Host-It, this was actually pretty quick. I just changed the nameservers on 1&1, purchased a hosting package on Host-It and another ssl certificate and waited for the changes to propagate - ie. not transferring the domain name. Everything was back up and running fully the next day. The site never went completely down, just couldn't Add to Cart for a while. Host-It have packages specifically for Sellerdeck, and provide the network settings as a file that you just import into Network Settings in Sellerdeck. They also support the same secure ftp as Sellerdeck.

Sarah

Comment

Good to hear that. I'll be giving Host-It a go soon, seems to have lots of good vibes from everyone...

Comment

Originally posted by zgap111 View Post
                              Mike is the best. Even on holiday
                              Sorry zgap, thought your server name post above was from Mike (have edited post to rectify). Thank you
                              Kind Regards
                              Karen

Charmed Cards & Crafts

Comment

Working...
                              X