Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are people finding updating to 2018?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are people finding updating to 2018?

Just abot to consider updating our sites from 2016.0.3 (new designs in 2016) to 2018.0.2

How are people finding the update process?

Anything we need to watch out for in regard to plugins we are usign?

Thanks

James

www.butterflies-healthcare.co.uk
    www.viteyes.co.uk - vitamins for macular degeneration
    www.natorigin.co.uk - natural/organic cosmetics and skin care for sensitive skin & eyes
    www.butterflies-eyecare.co.uk - eye drops, vitamins and other eye care products
    www.prescription-swimming-goggles.co.uk - optical and prescription swimming goggles

Anything we need to watch out for in regard to plugins we are using
    If you have Drillpine plugins there are two scenarios that you need to consider:

1) The add-on requires patched Perl scripts (most of my add-on's don't). Look in the Zip file that was sent to you and if there is a .pm or .pl file in there then you have patched Perl scripts. In this case you must upgrade to an SD 2018 version to keep them working.

2) The add-on doesn't use patched Perl scripts (most of my add-on's don't). Look in the Zip file that was sent to you and if there are no .pm or .pl files then you don't have patched Perl scripts. In this case you the add-on may survive the upgrade process and continue working. Test it and see.

There are two caveats:

You won't be able to install or re-install the older add-on into SD 2018; so if it didn't upgrade properly you'll need to upgrade the add-on.

Also, I can't support my add-on's when they are running on a version of SD they are not intended for.
    I'd have to keep around 36 different versions of each add-on on test sites here to deal with e.g: V8, V8 on [V9 10 11 12 14 16 18]; V9, V9 on [V10 11 12 14 16 18] all the way to V16 on V18. A logistical and maintenance nightmare.

So upgrading to the SD 2018 compatible version is recommended but may not be essential in the short term.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

When upgrading what is the best and easiest way to compare new layouts with previous existing layouts that have been changed or updated to meet particular requirements not previously addressed (e.g. Microdata Code) to ensure that new layouts are configured and function as required?

Martin
      Mantra Audio
      Martin
      Mantra Audio

Comment

I often have to do this. My way is a bit of a slog but is very useful in that you see line by line compares. Run the prior and current versions of SellerDeck simultaneously. In each Library, locate the layout to be checked and copy / paste its contents to a text file. Then I use WinMerge to compare the two text files.

Another quick and dirty way to check several layouts at once is to do Design / Export Specific Design Elements. Then select only the layouts you are interested in and proceed with the export. Do this on both systems. This will create a file in the respective Site folders "Act_DesignExport.txt". Use WinMerge to compare these files and look only at lines starting with "Layout,".
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thank you Norman for sharing this - some of my V16 layouts incorporate changes needed to ensure the site functions as required so I need to ensure that these changes are fully addressed on upgrade - your response will enable me to achieve this aim when I upgrade.

I have kept a log of all changes made so the layouts affected can be readily identified.

Martin
          Martin
          Mantra Audio

Comment

Thanks for the info Norman.

I will be in touch for updated version of all your add-ons we use once we have started the process.

Thanks

James
            www.butterflies-healthcare.co.uk
            www.viteyes.co.uk - vitamins for macular degeneration
            www.natorigin.co.uk - natural/organic cosmetics and skin care for sensitive skin & eyes
            www.butterflies-eyecare.co.uk - eye drops, vitamins and other eye care products
            www.prescription-swimming-goggles.co.uk - optical and prescription swimming goggles

Comment

Working...
            X