Bug in error checking in the Add to Basket code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bug in error checking in the Add to Basket code

I thought i ought to alert the community to a potentially serious bug.

I have been testing 18.03 and found a bug in the add to cart code. If you allow customers to enter a quantity (rather than selecting a quantity drop down) and enter an invalid amount (say a letter or a decimal) no validation occurs and the product is added to your cart. It shows with a valid price but with a blank quantity and a zero total price. The customer can go all the way through to order it and get a confirmation email with the same details. I checked my 16 installation and it has the validation built in correctly. Not sure how it managed to drop out of the code in 18. I have raised to Sellerdeck.

FYI - we have some custom Javascript that is run before the Sellerdeck add to cart code. This catches the problem in most cases and gives a nice message to customers.. However the code is not used on all our products. I found the issue on products that don't run the code.

Thanks Tony
    Tony
    www.secretgardenquilting.co.uk

Tried this on a clean 18.0.3 demo site and could not replicate the problem.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi Norman. Thanks for trying. I have not tried on a vanilla version.

I decided to post the issue for 2 reasons. When I raised to Kiran of Sellerdeck he tried it while I was on the phone and he confirmed that he could replicate it. Also my changes are only to the add to cart code (called for only for about 50% of my products) and the issue seemed to follow through to the checkout and confirmation email which is not touched by any of my changes and is separate code/validation. I didn't feel comfortable sitting on it as it results in orders being created without payment (at least on my version).

I must admit it is a surprise as it works perfectly on 16. I have yet to hear back from Sellerdeck. It would be interesting to see if anyone else has the same issue. I will update as soon as I have feedback from Sellerdeck

Many thanks
      Tony

Comment

I am loathe to upgrade to 18.0.3 if this is a bug that needs fixing first. Any news?

Comment

I've upgrade to 18.0.3 and my site is not affected
          Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
          SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
          Based in rural Northants

Comment

I spoke to Kiran on Friday. It has been passed to development but no feedback yet. I seem to have another bug on stock control relating to out of stock items. I will put in a separate post.
            Tony

Comment

Hi

Sorry about radio silence on this issue. I have been waiting for an update from Sellerdeck. They have supplied a new fix but it doesn't work. I still can add blank amounts to the cart.

I think I have come across a related issue that I think will effect standard sellerdeck installations. The issue is not being able to progress to checkout and getting the error "There is missing information in your cart. Please edit your cart and provide all required data. "

I was hoping someone could check on a standard version as I only have a custom installation.

To test it one needs to create a product with a permutation and set the associated product for the permutation to point at the product itself. Set the stock to say 20 on the main product and set the product to use real time stock control ans suspend level to 1.

This means you should be able to order 10 units using this permutation (each unit take 2 items of stock). In version 16 it allows you to add 20 units to the cart but when you get to checkout or view basket it says you have too many and can only buy 10.

In 18.03 if the user tries to buy 20 using this permutation it gets added to the basket ok. If you then press checkout rather than going to the basket it comes up with a blank page except for the following message " There is missing information in your cart. Please edit your cart and provide all required data." It just stops there and does not even show the basket. When you go to the basket it says you have tried to buy too many as it did in 16.

I would be grateful if someone could verify the behaviour.

Many thanks

Tony
              Tony

Comment

Working...
              X