Canonical Link Issue - Index.html and Variable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike Hughes View Post
    Did you publish to web ? and did you force the browser to refresh the page rather than using the cache?
    Yes, published to web and cleared cache/forced refresh to be sure.

I fear it might have been an error on my behalf, but I followed the instructions as best as I could!

Does the attached make sense?Click image for larger version

Name:	canon.png
Views:	59
Size:	487.6 KB
ID:	551298

Comment

Yes. That's the right place.

Did you click 'apply' after making the changes? I tested the blockif on my website and it triggered fine on the homepage.
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Yes. That's the right place.

Did you click 'apply' after making the changes? I tested the blockif on my website and it triggered fine on the homepage.
        Well, I have just tried again...

view-source:https://www.theskylightcompany.co.uk/

Hmmm...

Comment

Odd. I've just copied, pasted and applied the code you posted in post 12 into my meta tags layout, did a site update and it does exactly what it was supposed to including putting the canonical for your home page on my home page. (I've now removed it again as I don't want to confuse Google any more than is necessary.)

What do have set under Design > Design Options > Home Page Link ? is it set to Brochure ?

Comment

Odd. I've just copied, pasted and applied the code you posted in post 12 into my meta tags layout, did a site update and it does exactly what it was supposed to including putting the canonical for your home page on my home page. (I've now removed it again as I don't want to confuse Google any more than is necessary.)

What do have set under Design > Design Options > Home Page Link ? is it set to Brochure ?
            Mike,

It is set to URL. Which I have put as the Home Page.

Would this be the reason do you think?

Comment

Possibly. It's the only thing I could think of that might be confusing it as to which page is the front/home page. I have mine set to 'Brochure' and it works perfectly.

Comment

Possibly. It's the only thing I could think of that might be confusing it as to which page is the front/home page. I have mine set to 'Brochure' and it works perfectly.
                I think I changed it to URL because the Home Page links were pointing to /index.html and although it redirected fine I just wanted the links to go straight to the redirect page.

Maybe I will change it to brochure, test it and then manually change the Home Page links. Might be easier.

I will try it shortly and report back!

PS - I wasn't supposed to delete any of the original canonical code was I? My image explanation of what I did made sense?

Comment

Ok so I tried that and we have change but wanted to check if this was correct... In the Page Source it has

Code:
                   <link rel="canonical" href="https://www.theskylightcompany.co.uk"><link rel="canonical" href="https://www.theskylightcompany.co.uk/index.html">

Comment

The first Canonical is correct.

The second one shouldn't be there and is presumably happening because the code that generates it hasn't been included in the second blockif.

Comment

Is this how it should look?Click image for larger version  Name:	canon.png Views:	1 Size:	92.1 KB ID:	551316

EDIT: I think we are good! Could you check the page source to confirm for me Mike?
                      Last edited by TheSkylight; 03-May-2019, 09:50 AM. Reason: We are good!

Comment

Yep. Your pages all look good.

Comment

Yep. Your pages all look good.
                          Perfect!

Now... without the risk of turning your headache into a migraine... Would there be a simple fix to add to this code to turn the canonical acatalog/index.html into /acatalog/

It's the last one I promise!

Comment

Personally, I would give that page a useful name (such as skylights.html) and use that rather than just linking to the catalog folder.

- It's an important page as it's linked to from all your other pages
                            - You can also change the breadcrumb links to go there directly using some decent keywords ('skylight Products' ?) in the anchor text rather than 'Online Catalogue'
                            - It's probably easier than changing the canonical.

If you want to change the canonical the pseudo code would be:

If homepage

<link rel="canonical" href="https://www.theskylightcompany.co.uk">

If top of catalog

<link rel="canonical" href="https://www.theskylightcompany.co.uk/acatalog/">

If not homepage AND not top of catalog

Standard sellerdeck canonical code

All you have to do is work out the relevant blockif for top of catalog :-)

Comment

Well I just never understood why you needed /acatalog and acatalog/index.html. Both lead to the same thing, so I have always redirected one.

Comment

The only reason you get away with not specifying a page is because in that case the server will first look for a default page to show rather than listing all the available files and index.html is the typical one.

My main view is that as you have a page with lots of internal links to it and that links out to your main product sections then it makes sense to do at least a little SEO to boost its relevance and authority scores.

Comment

Working...
                                X