Brexit - Customer's EORI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit - Customer's EORI

Should there be a field for the customer to enter their EORI number?

- I assume the existing EC VAT number field can be changed to ask for EORI?
    - customers EORI number should be on the paperwork also?

I don't know any reason why the customer's EORI number would be needed. However, the various authorities don't seem to have the actual implementation of the new regs fully figured out yet, so it's hard to be sure.

For B2B orders, AIUI you should still offer the exemption option, which requires the VAT number. The two numbers are often related.

VAT-registered businesses in the EU are still exempt from VAT. Non-registered businesses would be treated the same as consumers, and VAT would be liable on the order at the point of entry to the EU.
    Bruce Townsend
    Ecommerce Product Manager
    Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

“I don't know any reason why the customer's EORI number would be needed”

Bruce, customs requirements in countries including Germany & Netherlands are demanding customer (importer) EORI on all paperwork or the goods could be delayed or refused.

this has been advised by all major courier companies

the use of the VAT field is not applicable as SD cannot accept 0% VAT and still show this charge on the invoice, it simply removes the VAT line as well as the customer VAT number

EORI numbers are not the same as VAT numbers and have to be declared as an EORI number on the invoice and not be left for interpretation by the importing customs authority, who may not understand the layout of a SD invoice

Comment

I've already raised this with support. It is on the wishlist now - WL-3354

There is a work around but it involves the customer putting in their EORI number on every order - it should (and hopefully will, one day) be automatically pulled through from a customer account.

The work around is :

It is possible to re-purpose other fields to allow this, for example there is a 'User Defined' field in the invoice address area that will be displayed on the invoice.

To do this go to 'Design | Text | Web Site (cont) | Invoice Address' and locate the entry 'Invoice User Defined' and tick the 'Show' box.

Select it and in the 'Current Value' field enter something like 'Customer EORI Number' or whatever text you wish, and click 'Apply', this will then be displayed in the checkout under the address fields online.

Then go to the 'Order Processing Reports' tab and select the sub tab 'Invoice' and scroll down to the entry 'Customer Invoice User Definable Prompt' field and again enter something like 'Customer EORI Number' or whatever text you wish, and click 'Apply', this will then be displayed in the 'Invoice' report.

Once you have done this upload the site for the changes to appear online.
        Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
        SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
        Based in rural Northants

Comment

We're planning a release next week with fixes for the other Brexit-related issues that were reported earlier. We will follow up as quickly as possible with a second release to capture the customer's EORI number - which we will probably do by amending the current VAT-exemption function that is now redundant - and to fix any other issues that may appear.
          Bruce Townsend

Comment

Originally posted by brucet View Post
            which we will probably do by amending the current VAT-exemption function that is now redundant
            I just had a thought... I was proposing the above but that's because we're in England...

Is it that function still redundant for businesses registered in Northern Ireland?
            - I don't know much about the Northern Ireland Protocol etc...
            - I think I remember for Sage Accounts software, XI country code for Northern Ireland needs to be set as "Member of EC"

Comment

That's a very good point, thanks, I will check that out
              Bruce Townsend

Comment

Therefore I now need to figure out whether a Northern Ireland company selling B2B into the EU might need to capture both the buyer's VAT number and their EORI number. If we need to provide a complete new field for the EORI, and store it with the account as well, then it will be a lot more work and take a lot longer to complete. Since the old rules still apply for NI, I'm guessing that only one or the other would be needed. But I'd like to find out for sure. Can anyone here confirm?
                Bruce Townsend

Comment

Looking at: https://www.sage.com/en-gb/blog/cust...-after-brexit/

Says in first "EORI" section
                  However, if your business only moves goods between Northern Ireland and the and the EU, including the Republic of Ireland – and nowhere else – then it won’t usually need to use an EORI number.
                  "usually"... hmm....

Says in "Northern Ireland VAT and customs after 1 January 2021 / Goods"
                  Northern Ireland remains part of the EU customs and VAT regime when it comes to trade with the Republic of Ireland and the rest of the EU.
                  I'm not sure how to interpret it all.

Comment

Originally posted by zgap111 View Post
                    I'm not sure how to interpret it all.
                    No, indeed. I've read quite a lot of pages, and certain things seem to be deliberately ambiguous in all of them, including gov.uk. I strongly suspect it's because nobody actually knows the answers yet
                    Bruce Townsend

Comment

I have implemented the design and prints out the Europe bound invoice nicely with the EORI number in a prominent position at the top of the template.
                      The only issue I have is that I now have to go through my scripts again as it has altered my multi-line text input with %0a at the end of each line.
                      So I'm back into ActinicOrder.pm and OrderScript.pl

Comment

We've just released two new versions with bug fixes for some of the Brexit changes. Unfortunately, capturing the customer EORI is a larger piece of work because it touches so many areas. We will be implementing this in a further maintenance release a little later this year.

In the meantime the latest releases (v16.0.8 & v18.0.6) are here, along with a related Sage Link release:
                        https://community.sellerdeck.com/for...esktop-v18-0-6
                        https://community.sellerdeck.com/for...esktop-v16-0-8
                        https://community.sellerdeck.com/for...brexit-support
                        Bruce Townsend

Comment

Working...
                        X