Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working on SQL server database sites? Can it be done if I only have Access?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working on SQL server database sites? Can it be done if I only have Access?

Client asked me to do an upgrade and sent the snap:

The snapshot you are importing was created on a site using a SQL database, it cannot be imported into a site using an Access database. Import the snapshot into a site using a SQL server database first and convert that site to Access.

Can I do anything about this or must I refer Enterprise clients to Sellerdeck for upgrade or redesign?

Thank you!
    image widget
    Jonathan Chappell
    Website Designer
    SellerDeck Website Designer
    Actinic to SellerDeck upgrades
    Graphicz Limited - www.graphicz.co.uk

Hi Jonathan.

Since almost everything is held in the database, including all the layouts and variables, you cannot work directly on a SQL Server site if you only have Access. A SQL Server site cannot export an Access snapshot, or vice versa, because the snapshot contains an actual copy of the database. So the client would have to create an intermediate site, import their SQL snapshot, convert the site to Access and export a snapshot from that. (You can convert sites between SQL and Access, and it generally works fine as a one-off. But I would strongly recommend against switching a live site between the two formats. I've found that switching backwards and forwards between them is not at all reliable and can corrupt the database.)

OTOH Desktop works perfectly well with SQL Server Express, which is free to download and pretty straightforward for you to install. I've managed it myself and I wouldn't call myself a techie. IIRC, the key is to make a note of names, password etc when you install it, as you will need to provide some of them when you create the Desktop site. I've also found it easier to use the 'Windows User' Admin User Details option in Desktop.

I'm not sure how Enterprise licensing works for partners, your account manager could advise.

I don't know about exchanging snapshots between different versions of SQL. I'm not aware of any issues with that, but it might be worth checking with Support.

I hope this helps
    Bruce Townsend
    Ecommerce Product Manager
    Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

Thanks Bruce

I did install the SQL Server on a second machine and Ian kindly got me an Enterpriuse development key, so I can do Enterprise now! Thank you.
      Jonathan Chappell
      Website Designer
      SellerDeck Website Designer
      Actinic to SellerDeck upgrades
      Graphicz Limited - www.graphicz.co.uk

Comment

OK, great. I'm glad to know you're moving up in the world!
        Bruce Townsend
        Ecommerce Product Manager
        Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

Working...
        X