Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a Blog to SD 2018

Hi,

I would like to add a blog to my website and was wondering what the best one tends to be to use for Sellerdeck.

I see an old post about this from Graphicz in 2014 recommending simpleblogphp.com. Would this still be the same for V18.0.5 or would others now integrate better? Like Wordpress?

I'm surprised I can't see any more about this.

The main reason would be to help with SEO and to be a source of useful information and articles for customers.

Thanks in advance,
    Joanna

Hi Joanna

You ideally want a blog app that sits on your own domain, rather than somewhere like blogger.com or wordpress.com.

Your Sellerdeck site should site nicely alongside any blogging app that your web hosting supports. Wordpress is certainly the most popular, and some web hosting comes with that pre-installed.

You'll probably want to change the design to match your Sellerdeck site, which can be a bit challenging, and you might need a Wordpress designer to help you with that. Otherwise just ensure that the blog is under the same top-level domain as your website; add a link from the website to the blog; and include links from your blog articles to relevant pages on the website.
    Bruce Townsend
    Ecommerce Product Manager
    Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

To follow on from Bruce....

You want the blog to be on your own domain in it's own directory (otherwise things get a bit messy if it is in your root directory) and I'd also recommend using WordPress.

the domain structure will look like :

www.yourdomain.co.uk/shop
      www.yourdomain.co.uk/blog

(those folder names can be anything you want them to be).

We develop WordPress sites using a page building tool called BeaverBuilder - this (generally) allows us to replicate the design from the SellerDeck site.
      Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
      SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
      Based in rural Northants

Comment

Thank you to Bruce and Goz for your quick replies, I will look into it over the weekend. It seems Wordpress is the best option.

So to sit on my own domain in it's own directory would I need another hosting package? Host-it indicated it would be better to have a new hosting package?

Thanks in advance
        Joanna

Comment

You shouldn't need a new hosting package - it is a case of installing Wordpress to a directory within the existing hosting package.
          Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
          SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
          Based in rural Northants

Comment

Hi, sorry for the delay and thanks for this information. Just in case anyone else has the same question here is what I did.

I was able to go back to Host-it and just double check to see if Wordpress was an option on their Sellerdeck hosting package and it turned out it was!

They had a Wordpress installation button in the Plesk login area and I've therefore installed and created the blog. Host-it were very quick in responding to any queries I had and I was able to customise it (using the tools included in the platform) to look similar to the current website.

They also have a free Yoast SEO option included and it helps you optimise the posts for the search engines.

So thank you for the replies and for pointing me in the right direction. Hopefully this can help someone else.

Joanna

www.essentialoilsonline.co.uk/blog

Comment

Working...
            X