Anyone using 18.2 successfully yet ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using 18.2 successfully yet ?

Just wondering if anyone out there has 18.2 installed and working ? The only comments I see on here so far is someone saying it doesn't work for them.

On Upgrades I always opt for the installer NOT to change my layouts. I was wondering if I do that will it mean the new features won't work ?

Any info useful.

I asked Sellerdeck for help with providing perl scripts that were Current, but included the mods we have done, but nothing.

I upgraded from 18.1 to 18.2 on 20th June and it's been working fine. I guess people only tend to post comments when something goes wrong!

Whether or not you opt for the installer to change layouts depends on which version you are upgrading from, and whether the layout changes are related to features you actually use, but yes - some new features won't work unless you apply the related layout changes.

My strategy is always to apply any version upgrade as soon as it is released, whether or not I need any of the new features; by not jumping versions there are fewer layout and script changes to deal with in one go, so it's easier to identify and fix any problems. And it's nice to know you're always on the latest version (it makes the support contract feel like better value too!) I find it's easier to have the updater apply layout changes, since all the changes are recorded in the LayoutUpgrades log, to which you can refer if you need to undo them.

Make a copy of your Site1 folder (call it Site1 - Copy) before you start the upgrade (no point in mucking about with snapshots in my opinion). That way, if everything goes pear-shaped you can quickly get back to where you were just by reinstalling your old version of Sellerdeck, then deleting the Site1 folder and renaming 'Site1 - Copy' to 'Site1'.

Upgrades always replace scripts with the latest factory versions, so if yours are customised you will need to re-apply your modifications manually. Don't be tempted to just copy your old scripts back from the 'Site1 - Copy' folder because you'll overwrite any code relating to new features and bug fixes. You can identify modifications by using a text comparison utility to compare the new scripts in 'Site 1' with your old customised scripts in 'Site1 - Copy'. This can be a bit fiddly, so I've created a Word document that records any script changes I've made over the years, so re-applying them every time I do an upgrade is simply a matter of copy and paste (via a text editor, e.g. Notepad ++). To give an idea of what I mean, I've attached the document I've created. Of course the script changes will be completely different for other people's sites - this is just an example to give an idea of the format!

John
    Attached Files
    John Ennals
    www.tortoys.co.uk

Comment

Watching this as I was ready to upgrade then saw the negative posts which stopped me....
      https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/

Ed Harrison - Menmuir Scotland

Comment

On Upgrades I always opt for the installer NOT to change my layouts. I was wondering if I do that will it mean the new features won't work ?
        Selecting that option will always mean that you won't get any new features or bug fixes that rely on layout changes. You should be offered the option to display the log file, which lists all of the changes that are required, so that you can apply them manually - or at least apply any that you really need.
        Bruce Townsend
        Ecommerce Product Manager
        Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

I have never found the information given for these upgrades useful, intuitive or straightforward. There aren't even any published instructions telling you HOW to upgrade.

Whenever I have opted to allow changes to layout they have broken completely.

Why not have a wizard that actually takes you through the major enhancements one by one, explaining what they are and where the code needs to go? It should offer a place where it will put the code, clearly marked with comments.

Why not produce a list of new layouts or variables, with suggestions on how or where they are used. It always seems such a hit or miss secret. I have seen no such list.

Reading reams and reams of incomprehensible logfiles is so old hat. Who wants to do that?

Also why is there no facility to allow changes to the scripts in a way they don't get completely erased on every "upgrade".

Why doesn't sellerdeck take onboard some of the fantastic enhancements that we have had to commission to make the software stay viable - via script changes - and incorporate them into the build? You have the same old enhancements in the Advanced user guide for the last ten years- and yet if I put any of them in they get erased every single time. What a joke. Ten years of making the order number shorter, and then having to re-code it every year.

The main change I need to see is OPAYO having all its bugs fixed - err, oh yes so it works just like Sellerdeck Payments via CredtCall had worked before we were forced to change to Opayo which is utterly terrible in every way.

I pay more than £10K for "enterprise support" but the support I get upgrading is pretty much zero. Sellerdeck are on a mission to squeeze as much money out of their customers of 20 years with absolutely no regard to customer service whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by rookers View Post
            I have never found the information given for these upgrades useful, intuitive or straightforward. There aren't even any published instructions telling you HOW to upgrade.

Whenever I have opted to allow changes to layout they have broken completely.

Why not have a wizard that actually takes you through the major enhancements one by one, explaining what they are and where the code needs to go? It should offer a place where it will put the code, clearly marked with comments.

Why not produce a list of new layouts or variables, with suggestions on how or where they are used. It always seems such a hit or miss secret. I have seen no such list.

Reading reams and reams of incomprehensible logfiles is so old hat. Who wants to do that?

Also why is there no facility to allow changes to the scripts in a way they don't get completely erased on every "upgrade".

Why doesn't sellerdeck take onboard some of the fantastic enhancements that we have had to commission to make the software stay viable - via script changes - and incorporate them into the build? You have the same old enhancements in the Advanced user guide for the last ten years- and yet if I put any of them in they get erased every single time. What a joke. Ten years of making the order number shorter, and then having to re-code it every year.

The main change I need to see is OPAYO having all its bugs fixed - err, oh yes so it works just like Sellerdeck Payments via CredtCall had worked before we were forced to change to Opayo which is utterly terrible in every way.

I pay more than £10K for "enterprise support" but the support I get upgrading is pretty much zero. Sellerdeck are on a mission to squeeze as much money out of their customers of 20 years with absolutely no regard to customer service whatsoever.

Thanks for your feedback and I understand your frustration. Upgrades have always been a challenge, especially with an advanced and highly developed installation like yours.

I know you have a ticket open for support on the upgrade and I've already discussed this with the team who should be in contact with you. They will be working with you on upgrading your scripts as well as solving some known issues with your image compression extension.

The reason for the short delay is that the developer who was needed for this work has been solely focused on our Jira Server migration to Jira Cloud - we have a lot of customisation and none of it automatically upgraded to Cloud.

Feel free to reach out to me if you want to discuss the upgrade or any other subjects, I'm always available to discuss and want to hear directly from our customers.

Thanks, Josh
            Josh Barling
            CEO | Sellerdeck Ltd

josh.barling@sellerdeck.com

Comment

Originally posted by rookers View Post
              Ten years of making the order number shorter, and then having to re-code it every year.
              We haven't upgraded for a while but I remember that pain...

Comment

Hi, have uppgraded, seemed to be okay with minimal problems but looks to have messed up moto new orders from customers who had already ordered. Could not really see any benefit to the Lighthouse score which is a bit frustrating but we had pared back alot anyway.

cottonpatch.co.uk

Comment

Just upgraded to a test server and everything seems OK so far. No improvement in page speed in fact the home page is a little slower on lighthouse https://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/test/index.html

DavidCP hope you don't mind me asking but did you the speed improvement work yourself or use a designer, as your page score is pretty impressive given the amount of content on your home page?
                  www.satellite.ie

Comment

I have been doing some testing with 18.02 and so far it has actually had a lower page speed score using Lighthouse

Click image for larger version  Name:	Lighthouse after upgrade.png Views:	0 Size:	51.8 KB ID:	555537
                    Older sellerdeck version below
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Lighthouse before upgrade.png Views:	0 Size:	44.9 KB ID:	555538
                    Attached Files
                    www.satellite.ie

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	555555Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	555556Just applied latest upgrade.
                      1. The upgraded layout “google-analytics-item-details” broke the cart and meant that no items appeared in the cart. I reverted to my current and it looks ok but obviously would like the latest version.

2. The text on my “view cart” button is now broken - I see the underlying code looks different. add something to cart on(dev site) https://www.mowermagic.co.uk/dev1/index.html and see the “view cart” button. Compare to live site https://www.mowermagic.co.uk/index.html

(see images)

Any ideas ?

Comment

Hi Tony, sorry I missed your question at the time. No I don't feel that it made much of a difference, and it was probably slightly worse as it put some of the css files I had minified outside the programme back in. In terms of the lighthouse speed then I have tried to turn things off as much as possible, hence got rid of slider that I did have. The deprecated scripts like Crypt is important though I think to have got rid of. The next big think is to change the images to webp. I would probably at first do this only on the homepage. Basically change the css and image layout so that the images defaulted to webp but would serve jpg if browser was not up to it.

Comment

Thanks David. I am staying with 18.1 for now as the new version gave much slower page speeds

Originally posted by DavidCP View Post
                          Hi Tony, sorry I missed your question at the time. No I don't feel that it made much of a difference, and it was probably slightly worse as it put some of the css files I had minified outside the programme back in. In terms of the lighthouse speed then I have tried to turn things off as much as possible, hence got rid of slider that I did have. The deprecated scripts like Crypt is important though I think to have got rid of. The next big think is to change the images to webp. I would probably at first do this only on the homepage. Basically change the css and image layout so that the images defaulted to webp but would serve jpg if browser was not up to it.
                          www.satellite.ie

Comment

Working...
                          X