Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I use the Google Tag feature in v18.2.2 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I use the Google Tag feature in v18.2.2 ?

Is anybody using the Google Tag feature in v18.2.2 ?

I'm not too sure what to do. I have entered the following code into the <head> field and a space into the <body> field but this is not working:

Code:
    <!-- Google tag (gtag.js) -->
    <script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=G-xxxxxxxxxxx"></script>
    <script>
    window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || [];
    function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);}
    gtag('js', new Date());

gtag('config', 'G-xxxxxxxxxxx');
    </script>
    Regards
    David

Hi David. You can't just enter the GA4 code into the Tag Manager fields. You have to log in to Tag Manager (https://tagmanager.google.com) with your Google ID, set up a Workspace, then go to Admin and get the actual Tag Manager code. There will be two pieces of code to enter into the two fields provided in Desktop.

We gave up trying to provide help for Google properties because they keep changing the UIs without warning, but there is comprehensive online help within Tag Manager itself.
    Bruce Townsend
    Ecommerce Product Manager
    Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

Thanks for that Bruce.

I now have Tag Manager set up but the preview cannot see the tag manager code I inserted into Marketing > Google Tags

I have inspected the HTML pages and there is no inserted tag manager code.

Am I missing something from one of my templates/scripts?
      Regards
      David

Comment

Hi David

The code you inserted into Marketing > Google Tags may not be visible in the page. I'm not certain because it's a while since I played around with Tag Manager myself. But IIRC that code simply calls Tag Manager. Then Tag Manager itself will insert code into the page for whatever Tag Manager features you have enabled. Those are controlled from within your Tag Manager account.

What features have you enabled? Can you see any Google code at all in the page? When you say the preview cannot see the code, did you preview in browser and then 'view source'? That's the only way to see the Google code.

When you upgraded to v18.2.2, did you accept the option to upgrade layouts? If not, your layouts will be missing the variables for the GTM code. The relevant variables are TagManagerBodyCode and TagManagerHeadCode. They should be in all the outer layouts used in your site (ie including the receipt page, digital download page, extended info pages - whichever are in use), at the top of the <body> and <head> sections respectively.

Other than that, I'm not sure what to suggest.
        Bruce Townsend
        Ecommerce Product Manager
        Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

Hi Bruce - I did request that layouts were upgraded.

The TagManagerHeadCode, TagManagerBodyCode and GoogleAdwordsMarketing variables were missing from the Content Page Outer Layout template. I have added the variables.

The variables already exist on all of the other pages.
          Regards
          David

Comment

Working...
          X