No announcement yet.

Moan about stylesheets within Actinic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to find the thread from about 3 years back where there was a mini competition to see how small the actinic.css could be pruned back to

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

LOL yes i recall with you being the ring leader and winner of the challenge. 212 lines was the best i got it to, i think it's about 1250 lines as standard.

Comment

Originally posted by maroni35 View Post
        Thanks guys, downloaded Dust Me and straight off I can see just how much redundancy there is in there. Will have to do major trawl I think.
        Ran the program against one of my sites and it reports a large number of selectors unused when I know they are in use so BEWARE, for example it doesn't check any inline styles.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
        SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
        Custom Packages

Comment

Why would you have inline styles and classes? I'd fully expect it to totally miss out inline styling, as it's just to evaluate the contents of a css file and what is not used inside that file as i understand.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
            Why would you have inline styles and classes
            End of a navigation list for example

<li style="border:0">

if the rest have had a separating border between them and you need to remove for the last. Ad hoc localised styling is permitted and often the only way to get an effect such as above ... seeing as you asked

Bikster

Comment

It's certainly not the only way to get that, but that was not the point. There is no class created to do that border style, its just inline, so don't see how a css stylesheet evaluator is expected to do anything with that. The only way is if you had a class created doing no border, but didn't use that and did inline instead, that could result in a useless class being picked up.

Comment

I know - I was just pointing out you can use inline styles.

All these online checkers whether CSS, HTML, accessibility or speed loading times etc should all be used with a pinch of salt as they make generalisations which can be dangerously wide of the mark.

It is like being diagnosed for an illness by email

Bikster

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
                  It is like being diagnosed for an illness by email
                  Now there's an idea on where 'efficiency savings' can be made in the NHS.

Close down GP Surgerys
                  All correspondance to me by email
                  Outsource the diagnosis to companies in India
                  The downside would be a possible increase in death rates, the upside being a reduction in the pension expenditure.
                  I think if we all come up with a top idea like that each we will have the UK deficit sorted within a couple months.
                  Darren Guppy
                  Golf Tee Warehouse
                  Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

next you'll be telling me that everyone should take up golf , improve your health, keep the youths of the streets . . .
                    increase the balance sheet, prepare the sales figures ready for a big sell off, and you can also retire early as well (although that one would add to the pensioners tally)

Comment

be carefull about the styles used in the checkout, especially v10's new checkout as dustme is unlikely to pick these up

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
                        Trying to find the thread from about 3 years back where there was a mini competition to see how small the actinic.css could be pruned back to
                        Sorry to bump an old thread, but this caught my attention. Is the stripped-down, lo-fi, 212-line actinic.css file available? I tried searching, but I can't find the magical combination of search terms to unearth it.

Comment

It's not available as a download anywhere, it's what clients get as part of the service (from most designers i suspect) when they employ a designer.

Comment

Css

I have also found the Actinic CSS files to be really bloated and dare I say badly thought out.
                            I managed to fide an enormous amount of redundant code which made no difference when stripped out.
                            If you are doing this manually I would suggest commenting out any lines you aren't sure of (/* */) then it's easy to reinstate if it turns out to be needed, and just delete the code when you are sure it's not being used.
                            Steve Griggs.

"People in business often miss opportunities, mainly because they usually arrive dressed in overalls and looking like work."

www.kitchenwareonline.com
                            www.microwave-repair.co.uk

Comment

Solving the actinic css woes is actually a very simple thing to do, their problem is two-fold, whoever is writing it is quite amateurish, certainly not what i'd call good at css and they have only half implemented what we have been suggesting for all these years. Whether the whole task just seems completely overwhelming for them to do or indeed they think they have it right is up for debate, suffice to say as more themes get added and more people create more css to plonk in there, the problem just snowballs.

The way they do their css and set it up actually negates much of the advantages css first become introduced to do. People are uploading with their stores css stylesheets with 100s of styles they do not need, surely that is cancelling out the advantages or point of using css.

They need one global stylesheet called global.css that brings in all styles that are in use on every theme. They then need a selector at the bottom of that sheet that brings in the styles specific to the theme in use and thus containing just the css for the used theme. It's no more complicated than that, apart from needing someone who knows css to do it and stop hacking around with people who half know it.

It's all about time i guess and perceived benefit from that time, just like html coding, you can hide a right load of mess because people simply cannot see it or do not know what they are looking at anyway. That's not a great reason for producing rubbish though IMO.

Comment

Totally agree!!
                                Regards
                                David

Comment

Working...
                                X