Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h1 tags and site breadcrumb

Hi,

Having some trouble when adding h1 and h2 tags to my site, I'm know a little html but am really unsure whether I'm doing this right so any advice would be appreciated.

Have added some tags to section titles and also to fragments I've added. The fragments seem fine but when I'm h1-ing section titles it really messes up the breadcrumb line (ParentSectionListTop) breaking it up line on line, have at look at this page for a better idea:

http://www.victorialinen.co.uk/acata..._by_Dorma.html

I'm adding the tags then adjusting the text using the drop down boxes on the section details panel, I'm thinking this probably isnt the best way of adding them, I've had a look for tutorials in the KB but cant seem to find any...

anyone help?

H1 is a block level element, meaning basically it'll take up a "line" on its own

You could change the CSS for H1 so it displays inline, like this:

HTML Code:
    H1 {
       display: inline;
    }
    ..but that may mess up other H1's that you've used elsewhere

You really shouldn't be making each element in the breadcrumb trail a H1 anyway, just the page heading really, then your fragment headings H2, etc

Comment

Your useage of H1 tags is incorrect. You should generally only have one per page and more importantly your heading structure should be correct. See http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_headings.asp

Comment

Thanks for the pointers.

I'll take the H1 tags off the section headings as it looks to be causing the problems. Where is the best to place these H1 tags then? In the Page title? In a fragment? or in the section description?

Sorry if this is obvious, but its all a bit new to me...

Comment

You should work on the basis of one H1 per page, thus on a single product page it will be product name.

Comment

OK, What about section pages?

Comment

Then have the parent section name as the H1.

Comment

You may wish to place a fragment on those pages and the fragment name could be the heading in that case or use the parent section name as Lee says.

Comment

Ok, thanks for all your help

Comment

Working...
                  X