No announcement yet.

BUGS Being Experienced with Windows 7 64-Bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thankfully I don't have any issues other than an odd crash when I import a snapshot into a new site or swap sites - but it's a rare occurance - no worse than I had on XP.

I have Win7 Pro 32bit with AVG (AV only) and only the standard Windows firewall. I got rid of Kaspersky and ZoneAlarm some time ago when moving to Win7 due to compatibility issues with ZoneAlarm.

Comment

I also get crashes several times a day, although am using V9 Business, but on a 64-bit Windows 7 Professional and run Kaspersky.
      It was rock soild on the old XP machine with AVG AV.
      Darren Guppy
      Golf Tee Warehouse
      Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
        Possibly Sean yes, but Kaspersky is the world's most popular security package as far as I know and I have highlighted a number of times a link with problems, so presume that avenue has been checked thoroughly.
        It's them damned Rooskies - a plot to subvert world e-commerce by lulling everyone into a sense of security and then striking!
        By causing the occasional bit of odd behaviour in Actinic V10.

P'raps not
        Kind Regards
        Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Williams View Post
          Hmmm - could it be security software causing the apparently random issues?
          We don't have any trouble at all with Vista, XP or W7, laptop or desktop.
          All use ESET Smart Securty.
          just goes to show, i had nothing but problems with ESET, uploads would fail. This was published on the beta testing feedback site. Took me a while to find the problem.

Comment

Well I think the antivirus stuff is a red herring, I've never used kapersky or eset.. and I have the crashes. I use AVG.

The common thread here is what I've been saying all along..
            With XP I never had a crash.. never.. same as others here.
            It was rock solid stable and a joy to use.

Seems it started to go wrong with Vista and now Win 7.. I know actinic deny there is any problem but its blindingly obvious there is.

Thanks for your offer of looking into this further... but to tell the truth Bruce, I cant be bothered with going through the whole pallava again... sending snapshots.. sending DMP files.. sending install logs.. sending databases.. I've had enough. I've wasted hours and got no where. The problem is not with my shop... I can gaurantee that.. because I even have the blank error boxes on empty shops.. its a problem with the actinic progaram and the way it interacts with the later windows versions... but I've had enough. I've ranted till I'm blue in the face. I'm off.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B View Post
              just goes to show, i had nothing but problems with ESET, uploads would fail. This was published on the beta testing feedback site. Took me a while to find the problem.
              I remember you saying Darren.
              Amazing isn't it how what should essentially be the same range of machines - Intel/AMD with Microsoft software and various industry standard AV and Security progs - can have such differing experiences.
              We don't have probs with Actinic, but some of the other software we run does have the odd issue, but usually they are of the small utility-type programmes, some paid for, some open source.
              We do find FF behaves weirdly occasionally, on any of the W7 machines, but I think that is FF.
              Kind Regards
              Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Clive, IIRC AVG really does bury itself in a machine; I know it's required extensive digging about in the Registry to eliminate pre-installed AVG from a laptop of ours.
                A real pain I know, but perhaps it would be worth your while to completely eradicate all traces of AVG from your system (temporarily of course!) and see if you still get the crashes. At least it would serve to eliminate AVG as a possible cause.
                Kind Regards
                Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

I remember you saying Darren.
                  Amazing isn't it how what should essentially be the same range of machines - Intel/AMD with Microsoft software and various industry standard AV and Security progs - can have such differing experiences.
                  We don't have probs with Actinic, but some of the other software we run does have the odd issue, but usually they are of the small utility-type programmes, some paid for, some open source.
                  We do find FF behaves weirdly occasionally, on any of the W7 machines, but I think that is FF.
                  The difficulty in sorting any problem of this type is the number of possible combinations of hardware, operating system, updates that have or have not been applied and all the other software that might be running at any one time. I suffer the odd problem with Actinic, FF, Thunderbird with Win7 x64 but those are the programs I am using all day so if it is going to go wrong it will be with one of them, doesn't mean they are specifically at fault. I get an occasional problem where the machine just hangs for a while then carries on if left alone and will carry out all the mouse movements and clicks whilst it was hanging. That has to be a process in the machine somewhere hogging a resource. Problem is all the monitoring programs hang as well so impossible to track down. It happens on two machines one desktop and one laptop, both running Win7 x64, Kaspersky, both with over 8GB of RAM so not a lack of memory and both with a raid array of hard drives.

One day maybe I will find the solution

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
                  SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
                  Custom Packages

Comment

Clive, IIRC AVG really does bury itself in a machine; I know it's required extensive digging about in the Registry to eliminate pre-installed AVG from a laptop of ours.
                    A real pain I know, but perhaps it would be worth your while to completely eradicate all traces of AVG from your system (temporarily of course!) and see if you still get the crashes. At least it would serve to eliminate AVG as a possible cause.

Yes Sean maybe, but firstly, I had AVG on my XP machine. No Crashes with Actinic.
                    And Second Duncan Rounding (above) states that he uses AVG and doesnt have the crashes. I'm sure the anti virus angle is a red herring.

By the way Duncan... Do you use the marketing lists?
                    These were introduced after v7 and I've noticed a few mentions of these as the possible culprit.

Amogst those who do have the crashes.. who is using marketing lists?
                    and those who dont have the crashes.. are you using marketing lists?

Malbro, I know that its a minefield out there, with differing architecture and platforms etc but most software manufacturers seem to be able to handle it.
                    All my other programs.. and some are very intensive on resources .. all work without crashing on vista and win7..

anyway I said I was out of here... spent much too long trying to get to the bottom of these crashes.. at some point you just have to cut your losses and run.

Comment

Originally posted by malbro View Post
                      ... I get an occasional problem where the machine just hangs for a while then carries on if left alone and will carry out all the mouse movements and clicks whilst it was hanging.
                      We have that, also W7 64-bit. Never had it with XP.
                      A couple of times a day on average. Pain in the butt as it can stall work for a couple of mins.

Edit: it doesn't matter what progs are or are not running, still happens ...
                      Kind Regards
                      Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

one last thing...

The blank error box and error warning beep on closing.

I get it on closing 50% of the time.

Thats actinic... reporting an internal error... but not knowing what it is....

You cant blame that on microsoft or antivirus or anything else can you?
                        Why cant actinic work out why thats happening??

Thats a problem with actinic and speaks volumes.... if only someone was listening.

Comment

Originally posted by Clive.Aspen View Post
                          if only someone was listening.
                          Hi Clive,

I'm sorry you are still having problems. I know it may seem we are quiet but I promise we are listening and working hard to address things like this.

Just a question, have you tried v10.0.4?
                          Benjamin Dyer
                          CEO - SellerDeck Ecommerce Software for SME's

SellerDeck is the new name for Actinic Desktop

Have you tried searching the Knowledge Base?

Comment

Originally posted by malbro View Post
                            The difficulty in sorting any problem of this type is the number of possible combinations of hardware, operating system, updates that have or have not been applied and all the other software that might be running at any one time. I suffer the odd problem with Actinic, FF, Thunderbird with Win7 x64 but those are the programs I am using all day so if it is going to go wrong it will be with one of them, doesn't mean they are specifically at fault. I get an occasional problem where the machine just hangs for a while then carries on if left alone and will carry out all the mouse movements and clicks whilst it was hanging. That has to be a process in the machine somewhere hogging a resource. Problem is all the monitoring programs hang as well so impossible to track down. It happens on two machines one desktop and one laptop, both running Win7 x64, Kaspersky, both with over 8GB of RAM so not a lack of memory and both with a raid array of hard drives.

One day maybe I will find the solution
                            I get the same problem with a wireless keyboard on my win7 64 sometimes it just stops working for about 5 or 10 seconds then suddenly catches up. It can be a right pain in the arse when your typing as bits get missed if you type to much (i think windows only remembers the last 13 inputs, an old dos carry over i believe)

Comment

And we all thought you was crap at spelling, silly wireless keyboards.

Comment

I use Win7 64-bit with full AVG and I don't experience random crashes with v8 v9 or v10.

For my tuppence worth, I think the blank error box on closing has been fixed in 10.0.4 - I was getting it regularly and I haven't had it in the last 2 days or so since upgrading.

I was getting random crashes related to marketing lists in v9. Turned out that the marketing lists contained references to products that had been deleted from Actinic. IIRC, answer was to edit the relevant table directly in Access to remove all products. I can't remember which table and I've deleted the email from support.
                                Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
                                SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
                                Based in rural Northants

Comment

Working...
                                X