Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicate Product Link To Original Product

Hi,

I'm trying to fnd a way to link back from a duplicate product to the section page where the original is.

Currently i'm using the following code to link to the page but it scrolls down to the point where the product is:

Code:
    <a href="http://www.mysite.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000004.pl?PRODREF=<actinic:variable name="ProductReference" />&NOLOGIN=1">
    I need to link to the page but keep it locked to the top.

I've searched on the forum and cant find any answers.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Cheap Printers

Printer Toner
    Printer Ink
    Ink Cartridges

a bit of reading about half way down the page, goes on for a few pages.

http://community.actinic.com/showthr...ts+in+sections

wes
    Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

you might just be on about ' anchors'

wes
      Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

Problem with that method is you are creating a cgi-bin related URL which is not great for SEO for example and by using the search script, it will always look for the product anchor on the page. You could remove the product anchor to stop that but that's not a great idea becuase other things like marketing lists will then be affected. Is there too many duplicates to consider the addition of the parent URL yourself manually?

There are automatic methods that will read the parent section from the database, but that would be pretty difficult to manage yourself if you don't have much or any php experience.

Comment

Hi Wesley,

I looked through that post befre and its close to what im trying to do but it isn't quite right.

Lee,

Currently it is set up using manual urls added to the duplicates but im about to add lots more to my site and was hoping to find some kind of automated way of setting the link.

Is there no kind of variable set in actinic which holds the 'original product page name'???

I would consider using some type of 'after page has loaded' javascript if nothing else works to just move the page back to the top after it has loaded.

Thanks
          Cheap Printers

Printer Toner
          Printer Ink
          Ink Cartridges

Comment

Originally posted by DavidPrintkit View Post
            Is there no kind of variable set in actinic which holds the 'original product page name'???
            Not that is readily available no, there are variables such as up a level or parent section etc. but these fail when you are looking at the duplicate as they are relative to the duplicate, not the master. There are no master product variables holding the info, at least there had better not be lol, because i sure wasted too much of my life otherwise.

I tried to crack this for weeks and weeks with a few semi automatic solutions along the way.

I finally cracked it, but the only way i could do it was to communicate with the database via php and extract the detail myself and then use it to form the URLs or links.

Comment

You could create a Variable scoped to Product and then populate it with a database query or hierarchical import. There is already a database field for the master product ref to do the lookup in Excel or SQL.

Comment

How would i 'populate it with a database query or hierarchical import'?

Thanks
                Cheap Printers

Printer Toner
                Printer Ink
                Ink Cartridges

Comment

Create a new Variable first in Actinic to hold the info then export the catalog. You will see that each duplicate (whose product reference is preceeded by a number followed by ! followed by the product reference) has a field (column) that contains the master product reference. You need to use this to look up the master product line and then copy the URL back into the Variable you just created at the end of the columns for the related duplicate. A macro or lookup in Excel should do it. You can then import the catalog back in. Don't forget to backup first!!

You could also do it with an SQL query but that's not something to quickly write down to post in the forum.

Comment

Could you not use this:

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=32892

Comment

Working...
                    X