• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Placing products into subsections

Hi folks,

Thrown in to actinic head first and now have my fist site live:

www.weldingsuppliesdirect.co.uk

My question is this, I need to groupd some products that are displayed on a Section page, example:

http://www.weldingsuppliesdirect.co....g_Welders.html

I need to group these into 3 or 4 sections but need to use the same page as I want them all displayed at once.

I set up a variable in the product section called amperage, then tried to group all the 100's together, 200's together etc... but am getting no where fast.

Any clues?

Cheers in advance.

Welcome to the forum.

You can manually change the order of the products by holding down the shift key and then dragging the product in the catalog to another position in the tree where you want it. Does that help?

Comment

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for the advice however doesn't really cover it. What I'm after is lets say there are 20 products in a section, I want to break these products up into what amps they are, example;

100 amp Welders
      Product one
      product two
      product three

200 amp welders
      Product four
      product five

300 amp welders
      Product six

And so on....

To me it will help the shoppers experience as I don't think having the same type of product displayed in seperate section pages makes for a good experience.

Comment

Your bold headings would be sub-sections of the main section 'welders' that contain the relevant products, not sure what you are confused on?

Are you struggling on how to get the page looking more than how to get the products into the right sub sections?

Remember you can add a fragment in between products, you could use that as the bold header perhaps to break them up.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
          Your bold headings would be sub-sections of the main section 'welders' that contain the relevant products, not sure what you are confused on?

Are you struggling on how to get the page looking more than how to get the products into the right sub sections?

Remember you can add a fragment in between products, you could use that as the bold header perhaps to break them up.
          Hi Lee, thanks.

More how the page looks. What I don't want is a "Section" of 100 amps and a "Section" of 200 amps as the user would have to go into those sections to view the welders. I want a user to see all the products on one page but "Grouped" by amperage.

For some reason, when I create a fragment and go to move it, shift pressed or not, the fragment drops into the product page.

Hope this makes sense!

EDIT: And each "Group" to have a title

Comment

Like this you mean?
            Attached Files
            Paul
            Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

Originally posted by pfb5 View Post
              Like this you mean?
              Nailed it - Perfect, but how?

Comment

Order your products in the acatalog tree as mentioned and then insert fragments at the appropriate places in between.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post
                  Order your products in the acatalog tree as mentioned and then insert fragments at the appropriate places in between.
                  That what I first though, but when create a new fragment and move it to just below the product, even using shift, it just places the fragment INTO the product page and not below.

In other words, my fragment positioning seems screwed up somehow.

Comment

This must be because you are using single product pages?? (although you haven't said so)
                    If that's the case then the 'products' as you have them listed in your post, must actually be 'sections'??
                    If you're wanting to display fragments in between your sections, that'll be a trickier thing to achieve
                    Can you confirm how your product tree is set up?
                    Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by TraceyHand View Post
                      This must be because you are using single product pages?? (although you haven't said so)
                      If that's the case then the 'products' as you have them listed in your post, must actually be 'sections'??
                      If you're wanting to display fragments in between your sections, that'll be a trickier thing to achieve
                      Can you confirm how your product tree is set up?
                      Yea, thats how I've done it. I have a it laid out thus;

Mig Welders (Sub Section)

Product ABC (Sub section)
                      Product ABC (Product)

Product DEF (Sub section)
                      Product DEF (Product)

Product GHI (Sub section)
                      Product GHI (Product)

And so on......

And I need to show it like this....

Mig Welders (Sub Section)

Title One goes here
                      Product ABC (Sub section)
                      Product ABC (Product)

Product DEF (Sub section)
                      Product DEF (Product)

Title Two goes here
                      Product GHI (Sub section)
                      Product GHI (Product)

Have I made life hard for myself? DOn't want to have to build things from scratch, were already top 5 on google for what we want!

Comment

To get fragments to display the way you want then will be tricky.
                        What'd be easier would be to modify a section layout to provide your headings and use these modified sections between your product listing sections.
                        Does that make sense?
                        Tracey

Comment

Your issue is the contrasting column count, titles are 1 wide, products are 3 or 4 wide, yet it is all trying to be presented in the same table where cells are intrinsically linked. You have a few options, each of them will require some expertise in either layouts and list layouts or css. I suspect that coverting to css is your best way, but a useless idea if you're not good with css. You'd effectively create layouts, give them a fixed width in which to work and then float them all left, whilst also removing the table list layout.

If the above has you scratching your head, either contact a designer or scrap the idea, cos it will sure get more complicated to do.

Comment

Thanks one and all, with a few ideas from you guys and a bit of brainwork from yours truly I go this to work.

Simple task really in the end.

1. Created a sub section title of which would be "Mig Welders up to 300 amp"
                            2. Created a variable so I could distinguish this section from the others
                            3. in the Sub section layout used a block to style this section element differently

Job done.

Cheers folks.

EDIT: Finished page found here: - http://www.weldingsuppliesdirect.co....g_Welders.html

Comment

Originally posted by warwick View Post
                              Hey! That looks just like my picture!

Paul
                              Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

Working...
                              X