Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catalog will not start - get "unable to initialise DAO/Jet db engine" in a loop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catalog will not start - get "unable to initialise DAO/Jet db engine" in a loop.

While trying to debug an on-going problem with my live version 9 installation, I have tried to install and run v10.0.2 (thankfully in a separate folder).

But when the program tries to start up, after "Initialising site objects" it gets stuck in a loop with an error box saying "unable to initialise DAO/Jet db engine".

This is with it's own demo database straight from the download.

I'm running XP Pro SP3 with Office Pro 2003 installed.

Uninstall both and then reimport your v9 snapshot into a fresh v9 installation.

Comment

Thanks, but I've already done that with V9 with no success.
      Meanwhile I still have the V10 problem from a clean install ...

Comment

Try compacting the database from within Access, it sounds like a corrupt database or perhaps corrupt data to me.

Regards,
        Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
        Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
        A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
        Product Mash for Sellerdeck
        Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
        Multichannel order processing
        Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Now when we find this happens Actinic generally creates another copy of the data base. If you go to the site one folder and find actinic catalogue mdb you should find another database with above plus "temp". Rename each to the others name and hopefully that will allow you to open and back up.

Regards

Nigel
          Offering a wide range of shade loving plants suitable for the woodland garden. http://www.plantsforshade.co.uk

Comment

There is no live database involved for compaction or restoring - I'm getting the failure straight from the demo install.

Comment

This does not sound like an Actinic issue as such. It is more likely a DAO error. If you search the internet you will find many instances of this issue with Access 2000 databases. The resolution in many cases is to install the latest DAO or reregister the DAO.

See the Microsoft issue and resolution here: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=248790

Code:
              regsvr32.exe /u "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\dao360.dll"
              regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\dao360.dll"

Comment

I got the following response from Chris in Actinic support:

We can also try re registering the 2 DAOs.
                Open a Command Prompt (or use Start | Run) and run the following 4
                commands (each command is one line):-

Regsvr32.exe /U
                "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Dao\Dao350.dll"

Regsvr32.exe /U
                "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Dao\Dao360.dll"

Regsvr32.exe
                "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Dao\Dao350.dll"

Regsvr32.exe
                "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Dao\Dao360.dll"

If either of the first 2 fail then it indicates that there was a problem
                with the installation. The second 2 should both return successful.

Success, having done that Actinic 10 now loads, gets past the "Database Enging Initiialisation problem" and runs. I can also access the Help, Troubleshooting menu option.

Even better I can now also run the Help, Troubleshooting menu option in my live Actinic 9 program.

Thanks Chris and the dev. guys.

Comment

Working...
                X