Searching for parts of words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching for parts of words

Hi, I am struggling to work out how to make the search script look for matches from within searched words and not just from the beginning of a word.

By default, search finds words beginning with the search term.
    e.g. If I enter 'the' into the search box, then i will get hits like 'the, there, these' etc. but not 'tether, brother' etc. I actually want it to search for parts of product names, but it looks like its the same search script to me.

Does anyone know how I can achieve this please?

I have had a look at making simple text substituions in searchscript.pl but that will be pretty long winded. There must be a simple way to do this as most sites provide the functionality!

Thanks for your time,
    Paul.

Not possible as far as i know and have read, only reads from the start like you say. KB will be your place if there is anything you can do.

Comment

It should be fairly easy to do as it might just need a change to the 'matching' line of the perl scripts.

Having said that, it could take time if no-one's done it before as they'd have to find the right line in the scripts and check that it wasn't going to break anything else.

If you're lucky, someone might pop in with the answer but failing that you could contact Norman at Drillpine and ask him to quote for it.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks for the pointers. I've had a look at search.pm and its in the middle of the recursive bit in sub(Wordsearch) I think.... I might have a go when I'm feeling like a fight

I wanted to make sure I'm not re-inventing the wheel!

Anyone else, do jump in!

Thanks again.
        PAul.

Comment

There are a couple of other threads on the forum that may help - no solutions as such but additional efforts.

Comment

Working...
          X