Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual terminal to hold actinic licence

Hi

Our IT guy has suggested we run a virtual terminal within one of our machines to hold another licenced copy of actinic so that you can have two sites open at once and do not have to swap between sites whilst on the phone (which can take a little time).

I obviously don't totally understand it but my fear is that no one else has suggested it before so is there a reason why that would be?

Does anyone have any views as to whether this is a good solution or not?

Thanks
    DOnna
    Donna

Chief bunting supplier to Take That!

Donna

If I read you correctly your saying if you have two computers each with a licenced copy of actinic and it's own site then you could use something like "letmein" to access the second computer from the first, but dont think you could have the second running the first at the same time as you would have two virtual terminals open at the same time, but I am probably wrong on this, but what the hell Ive tried my best
    Chris Ashdown

Comment

Donna's on about a virtual machine inside of another, so one machine, one part of it running normally and within that another window running another effectively. Never heard of the idea and have no idea whether it would work, seems to have a fatal flaw though, one machine fails, no sites accessible. I'd have thought multiple machines was a much better idea, each site always on and available and serve as backup to each other.

Comment

I read this as having multiple 'windows' running on the one pc so you can have two copies of actinic running (with a different site open in each) and rapidly switch between them.

Not sure how easily this will work.

Mike

* Same as Lee I see. Could be two pc's with a video switch to one monitor.
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Mike / Lee

Yes I think that's what he has in mind. It would be on two other machines as well and the data is held on a server. It's really trying to find a solution to switching sites when you are on the phone in site a and the customer wants to order from site b and it take prob 60+ seconds to swap - this is quite a time to 'fill'

My fear is that you will in some way corrupt the data but our IT guy says if you have it as a separate license it's just like having it on two machines. It sounds logical but I'm wary but having no knowledge on which to say yes or no!

D
          Donna

Comment

Running the other copy of Actinic inside a virtual machine is essentially the same as running it on a second PC. So if you feel comfortable with a second PC route there's nothing to stop you using the virtual machine.

However a virtual machine license plus an additional Windows license (to install within virtual machine) are a significant cost. Might make more sense to get a second budget PC.
            Norman - www.drillpine.biz
            Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I'd be inclined to go the second machine route for sure, the price of them nowadays is so cheap, if you have room it's not worth any other consideration IMO.

Comment

If you go the second machine route there are a few solutions out there that can allow you to use one keyboard, mouse and monitor for both machines, allowing you to instantly switch between the two e.g. KVM switch.
                There are most likely newer methods of this with new tech and gadgets etc however in the 'old days at the data centre we used KVM switches to manage multiple machines from one console.
                Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
                Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
                SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Yes, I have two computer with one 19" widescreen monitor, usb keyboard, usb wireless optical mouse and speakers.

You just press the switch on the box, or double click on the [scrolllock] key, changeover takes about 5 seconds due to usb devices reconnecting. It would probably quicker if you used PS2 keyboard and mouse.

One machine is Actinic EPOS server, also running Actinic Business for our online shop. The other machine acts as one of our shop tills (EPOS), Web site development/design machine, accounts, etc.

Comment

Thanks guys, i'll pass all the info on to our IT guy. Its such as shame that you aren't able to have them all open on your machine and swap between them, our phones aren't that busy at this time of year so you can leap on a different machine but when you have everyone on the phones that's just not possible.

I'm going to find that what would you like thread and add it to there me thinks.

D
                    Donna

Comment

Working...
                    X