Discounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discounts

If you have volume discounts configured on cart value to discount say 10% at one break point and 20% at a higher break point etc then these discounts are calculated online via the perl scripts and form an order detail line that shows on the invoice as a line item.

The percentage discount is not included in the order detail, only the value of the discount, and of course it is part of the order detail subreport not the main report itself.

I'm looking for a way to show the percentage discount that was applied to the order and to include that on the invoice report in the line that is used for the offline order discount under the order subtotal.

the only way I can think that this may be possible is to back calculate the percentage from the order total, which is not as easy as it may sound.

Am I over complicating this - does anyone know of another way?

Hi Duncan,

I've found a way for you; I'm sure that you've already tried this and discarded it for the reasons mentioned below. Also, I'm not sure whether it will come out on reports or invoices from within Actinic (as we use Sage to process our orders rather than Actinic). Still, it may or may not be helpful. I don't want to come across as teaching you to suck eggs, that's all - as you're obviously far more experienced with Actinic than I am!

Rather than adding a discount based on 'Order level', with it based on Cart contents, and having separate triggers for various amounts and discounts - it only displays the overall discount name in the cart, irrespective of the amount of percentage taken off.

However, if you create discounts based on 'Cart contents' instead, it can get round this limitation.

If you create a discount named '10% off', based on 'Value excluding VAT', with a trigger, say, of £10.00; then with the reward type of '% off' and the reward amount set at 10.00%, then you will be able to give customers 10% off for a cart amount over £10.00.

Next, create a discount named '20% off', with the same trigger type but the value at £20.00, and set the same reward type but with a value of 20%, this will give a customer a 20% discount for a cart amount over £20.00.

However, in order for this to work, you have to make sure that the 20% discount appears in the discounts list above the 10% discount; otherwise it won't work.

Assuming this to be the case, when a customer orders over £10 online, it will display the '10% off' discount name in the cart as a separate line. If they then order over £20, it will remove the '10% off' name and replace it with the '20% off' name instead.

There is a downside to this; it only works with certain product groups. If you already use groups for other discounts on your site then this won't work as you can only have one group per product. If you don't, then you simply add all your products into one group and specify the group in the properties section of the discount.

Comment

Some lateral thoughts - thanks. I'll look into it - the client has a number of different discounts and customer group discounts as well and I need to check to see if that would work in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

I found a simple way to do this in the invoice report.
        I passed the order total to the order detail subreport and then back calculated the percentage and placed it to the discount order line.

Comment

Working...
        X