Help! Floating Menu has Died...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Floating Menu has Died...

We have a v8 site, at www.lloydattreeandsmith.com and are in the process of upgrading to v10.

The test v10 site is at www.darsham.com/newlloyd - you can log on to both using my username (ncot) and password (709) to see my problem - grateful if you don't fire off too many bogus orders whilst you're at it!

On the old site, we had a nice little box on the RHS, which floated down as you scroll through some of our (very long!) sections.

On the new site, with (as far as I can tell...!) exactly the same code at the end of the "Works Best With Smart" Web Page Outer Layout, the floaty box no longer floats, but is firmly and stubbornly locked to the top right corner.

I'm by no means an experienced techie, and have hardly touched the site since I built it in v8 in 2006, so any help from the better-informed would be enormously welcome...!!

Have you missed a file in your "Additional Files" section at all? Or manually FTP'd a script on www.lloydattreeandsmith.com but not www.darsham.com/newlloyd by accident?

Comment

Thanks, Keith, good questions.

I'm fairly sure that there was no external file related to the floaty menu - just script included in the main html page, and taken pretty much unchanged from Roy Whittle's Floating Menu code at dynamicdrive.com - authorised plagiarism, which seemed great at the time, but now means I have no idea what I'm working with...!

Comment

Hi Neill,

Yeah I cant see any differences between the two pages codes so thats why i thought about a missing script.
        when I logged in and viewed source I got an error

view-source:http://www.darsham.com/cgi-bin/bb000001.pl

which was showing on both sites?

I dont know why its showing on your old site though. I am a DIY actinic guy so I cant point you in the direction of where its gone wrong, you could try actinic support or wait for some of the very clever people on the site to help.

Comment

Kerpow!

OK, fixed it. Somehow, changing the very first line of the html from:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

to just:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

appears to have done it.

I have absolutely no idea why - perhaps one of the more professional contributors to the forum might like to explain - but for now, this Actinic DIY-er is happy.

Let there be much rejoicing, and ale-drinking, and dancing in the streets... and thank you again, Keith, for your thoughts and suggestions.

Comment

I'd check your site thoroughly across all browsers if you are going to adjust that, historically it is something that you never touch as it creates all sorts of problems, often not obvious ones.

Comment

Working...
            X